D&D (2024) Armor in the AC part of statblock

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
For how little space it takes up, it's a fantastic add.

I use it for narrative and descriptive purposes.
I use it for knowing the target of spells like Heat Metal.
I use it when the party wants to scavenge equipment off dead foes.
I use it (and weapons under Actions) to highlight leaders as well as excuse changes to their AC & damage.

And that's just common usage. Last session they ambushed foes in their sleep and it presented a perfect way to reward players for what they did, in that many were not wearing their armor and I dropped AC.

That some of these could be replaced with a number is true. But that number, while meeting gamist needs, would be detached from the narrative. Having a number that meets both with a trivial costs seems like a win.

Last edited:

codo

Hero
For how little space it takes up, it's a fantastic add.

I use it for narrative and descriptive purposes.
I use it for knowing the target of spells like Heat Metal.
I use it when the party wants to scavenge equipment off dead foes.
I use it (and weapons under Actions) to highlight leaders as well as excuse changes to their AC & damage.

And that's just common usage. Last session they ambushed foes in their sleep and it presented a perfect way to reward players for what they did, in that many were not wearing their armor and I dropped AC.

That some of these could be replaced with a number is true. But that number, while meeting gamist needs, would be detached from the narrative. Having a number that meets both with a trivial costs seems like a win.
Yeah, it adds a lot with out taking up much space. Removing it from all the monsters in the monster manual would free up less than a thousand words. More than that, It wouldn't really free up any space in the monster manual. Nearly every monster in the book takes up a full page. Removing a couple of words from each monster isn't going to gain you anything. For convivence and ease of reading the monsters still need to take up a full page each.

Remove ads