D&D 5E Art direction and 5th edition

Wiseblood

Adventurer
Earlier this year I got hammered on ENWorld for having the same opinions shared by a lot of people in this thread.

Wayne Reynold's art while good in a technical sense is too cutesy for my taste. And why do his faces always look so terrible?

I would prefer a more photo-realistic and gritty depiction of D&D characters and landscapes. Magic The Gathering has excellent art direction. The last two sets in particular. Makes me want to role-play on the planes instead.

I think it is because WAR would rather draw patterns on Armor and clothing than actually put details on the faces or feet. I'm just saying, if you look at his catalogue of art you see a lot of hidden or blacked out feet (or just cone shaped feet) and carefully drawn quilting and scrollwork.

I weep when I think about the art Direction of D&D. I when I see art from MTG I turn into a green eyed monster.

Last edited:

Wiseblood

Adventurer
Things I want to get through to the art direction dept.

*Would it kill you to include a background next time.

*I don't need an illustration of each race and profession.

*I want to see someone adventuring.

*This is a rectangle please fill it. I do not need irregularly shaped artwork to fill in holes in the mechanics.

Elf Witch

First Post
I really love Boris Vallejo and Larry Elmore. They pretty much sum up my love for fantasy art... and er, um ... boobies.

I own several Vallejo pieces as well as Frazeta pieces they hang on my wall.

That being said as a female gamer I get tired of the boobies and cheese cake adventurers. I know other female gamers who feel the same way.

Use cheesecake for succubus or the evil wizard in her tower but for crying out loud put some clothes on female adventurers.

Hussar

Legend
LOL Elf Witch. I can appreciate. :D

I'd like to echo the sentiment for more setting pieces. No more portraits, or at least a lot less of them please. I want some background and whatnot to make the piece stand out. The Monster Manual is particularly egregious in this. I understand that you want to show the monster, but, if you look at something like the Conceptart.org Creature of the Week - ConceptArt.org Forums pieces, that's how you could present monsters in the MM and still give them some character.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Worlds and Monsters really had me excited for where 4e art looked like it was going...evocative, jump-right-in landscapes and scenes...but for some reason it never went there. Adventure modules in particular should each have a full-colour piece of art that shows the module's setting - the castle, the lake, the hills where the caves are, whatever - so the DM can hold it up and say "You are here".

Whoever it is who insists on always depicting adventurers with enormous weapons (insert double entendre here) has to go.

Lan-"art and death are both in the eye of the beholder"-efan

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases