D&D General Art in D&D

Status
Not open for further replies.

generic

On that metempsychosis tweak
[snip]
And literally dozens more. But I think you get the point. I think there was some serious cherry picking of halfling images going on above to argue they look just like humans without something to provide scale. I think it's pretty clear that you can have a depiction of a halfling in D&D, even with shoes, that's pretty distinguishable already without needing to have wonky 5e features.
The problem here is that many of these Halflings are indistinguishable from Gnomes, because of their elf-like ears.

The tricky bit is getting a Halfling that doesn't look Human (which, if they did look Human, would be rather demeaning to people of shorter stature) but doesn't look like either a Gnome or a Xenomorph.

Hussar

Legend
Sigh.

@Sacrosanct

My point is that WotC doesn't seem to agree with you. And, I can see their point. That first image you posted could easily be an elf. Most of what you posts ISN'T WotC art. And, yes, for all your criticisms of me cherry picking, you're doing the same thing.

But, hey, we're not going to agree on this. I was just pointing out the reasoning for why WotC went with the really ugly halflings in 5e. You don't have to agree with the reasoning. Fair enough. You obviously are far more discerning than most. But, it appears that in WotC's opinion, most folks cannot easily recognize halflings in the art, thus they went with the ugly halflings.

generic

One of the difficulties encountered when discussing art in D&D is style. There are always people who prefer a certain style of art. For example, even though I think it would be inappropriate for D&D, I love the scratch-board art of Eric Sabee, which as defined Ascension: The Deckbuilding Game.
giant_rat_by_esabee_d3hpgdm-350t.jpg

However, there are certain parameters by which we can abide. For example, most people agree that some art is ugly, regardless of style.

In the case of Halflings, they seem to either be indistinguishable from Gnomes, indistinguishable from Humans, or just ugly and (you can laugh at me for using this word again) Xenomorp-headed.

Am I right, am I wrong? It may be just me, but this is something which I have noticed.

I see that too. I suspect it's down to an art director with bad taste more than anything. The watery pastel stuff is extremely hard to explain. It's not all bad, but almost none of it is remotely memorable or engaging. The covers are higher-energy for sure and generally better but a lot of them are still vague and unmemorable and just don't have even the "oomph" of covers I genuinely dislike. Ok the MM has a good cover. But the PHB? What is even happening? I guess there's maybe a fire giant, but if I wasn't a D&D player I would have no idea what that even was. And an elf(?!) is doing some sort of trampoline jump in front of it whilst glowing in a totally non-threatening way? Or the giant has invisible strings and the elf is a puppet? Man what. I literally just noticed that dude in the bottom right with the sword too. This is a mess of a cover. It kind of looks like everyone is scared of everyone else and falling over or something.

Even 3E's UTTERLY VILE covers which gave me a sort of phobic "don't touch that!" reaction were at least memorable and identifiable. 4E's were less memorable but, I dunno, at least there were cool adventurers on them. Not some sort of vague "Accident involving a Fire Giant".

generic

I see that too. I suspect it's down to an art director with bad taste more than anything. The watery pastel stuff is extremely hard to explain. It's not all bad, but almost none of it is remotely memorable or engaging. The covers are higher-energy for sure and generally better but a lot of them are still vague and unmemorable and just don't have even the "oomph" of covers I genuinely dislike. Ok the MM has a good cover. But the PHB? What is even happening? I guess there's maybe a fire giant, but if I wasn't a D&D player I would have no idea what that even was. And an elf(?!) is doing some sort of trampoline jump in front of it whilst glowing in a totally non-threatening way? Or the giant has invisible strings and the elf is a puppet? Man what. I literally just noticed that dude in the bottom right with the sword too. This is a mess of a cover. It kind of looks like everyone is scared of everyone else and falling over or something.

Even 3E's UTTERLY VILE covers which gave me a sort of phobic "don't touch that!" reaction were at least memorable and identifiable. 4E's were less memorable but, I dunno, at least there were cool adventurers on them. Not some sort of vague "Accident involving a Fire Giant".
What I find hard to explain is why certain covers grab me while others are so... meh. But, I think it comes down to a memorable image that captures both the spirit of the book and the mood of the art. Whereas the PHB's cover seems neither incredibly empowering, very tense, or really all that interesting, the art of the DMG shows the evil Acererak standing atop a mountain of skulls and bodies, all of them beginning to come to life, somewhere in an ancient grey wasteland where ruins from a forgotten era dot the landscape. It perfectly captures the role of the DM as the master of plots, plotting, villains, and the sheer immensity of the world.

Likewise, the MM shows a group of hopeless heroes running from a variety of terrifying monsters in a dark and stormy ruin, their hopes dashed. It captures the power of enemies and the role of monsters in the game.

The PHB's cover, however, does not capture heroism, and doesn't clearly show a cohesive and exciting adventuring party. Instead, we see a group of panicked adventurers jumping around and nearly being killed by a massive Giant who takes up the majority of the composition. Instead, perhaps the party should be together, facing an enemy with strength, rather than terror. Even the cover of Pathfinder's Core Rulebook better represents the role of an adventuring party.

The splatbooks have had hit-or-miss covers, in my opinion.

VGtM has a memorable cover, as the grey color scheme sets it apart, and we can clearly see a lone hero (well, it is Volo, so maybe, not a hero) negotiating with a Frost Giant, thick tome in hand. The cover itself helps inform how the information in VGtM helps DMs make the monsters seem like something that can be spoken to and experienced in terms of culture, rather than just homogeneously evil bags of HP.

Other splatbooks accomplished less.

VGtM has a memorable cover, as the grey color scheme sets it apart, and we can clearly see a lone hero (well, it is Volo, so maybe, not a hero) negotiating with a Frost Giant, thick tome in hand. The cover itself helps inform how the information in VGtM helps DMs make the monsters seem like something that can be spoken to and experienced in terms of culture, rather than just homogeneously evil bags of HP.

Other splatbooks accomplished less.

Yes! That is actually a legit great cover by any edition's standard. Volo (?) could be more dynamically painted or silhouetted a bit but the idea is great and the giant is lovely.

Urriak Uruk

Gaming is fun, and fun is for everyone

1574377641772.png

This is some strong conjecture here man. Clearly two people fighting a giant. They're in motion, instead of everyone in their "HERO POSE."

generic

This is some strong conjecture here man. Clearly two people fighting a giant. They're in motion, instead of everyone in their "HERO POSE."
I don't think that's the point. When you look at the actual cover of a PHB, the way the art is cropped looks awkward, and you can't see the extreme angle of the 'shot'.

Parmandur

Book-Friend

It's the titular boss fight from G3.

I like the overall 5E style, though 2E and BECMI are also close, and I love 1E era art (big fan of DCC art too).

I like the 5E Halfling art.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads