D&D General Art in D&D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Urriak Uruk

Gaming is fun, and fun is for everyone
None of that art is creepy and that is extremely unfair and insulting to the artists, who did amazing work, stop creepshaming people, they don't deserve that.

Still you think the halflings are good art and that 17 pages of names is good content so...

It's more than little funny that you're using my opinion in a completely different argument as proof you can use to disregard my opinion in this argument.

It's even funnier as you've clearly confused me with someone else, as I don't personally like the 5e halfling art that much and don't like the pages of names that much either!

Side-note, I was not criticizing Caldwell personally; he's obviously a great artist, and I don't personally care too much for what an artist chooses to depict in their work.

What I do criticize however is D&D's past art orders (and writing generally) that catered specifically to adolescent white men, with their depiction of women and treating of non-European cultures as "backward." This was not universally true (so don't at me with the exceptions) but it was true enough that 5e designers like Jeremy Crawford have openly pointed that that they actively true to make 5e as welcoming as possible to people of different genders, sexuality, and race. There have still been mistakes (I've heard some criticism for both the Vistani and Chultan depictions) but for the most part 5e's art and writing is a marked improvement and is perhaps the chief reason for its surge in popularity among younger generations today.

And that should make us all happier, yes?

Parmandur

Book-Friend
It's more than little funny that you're using my opinion in a completely different argument as proof you can use to disregard my opinion in this argument.

It's even funnier as you've clearly confused me with someone else, as I don't personally like the 5e halfling art that much and don't like the pages of names that much either!

Side-note, I was not criticizing Caldwell personally; he's obviously a great artist, and I don't personally care too much for what an artist chooses to depict in their work.

What I do criticize however is D&D's past art orders (and writing generally) that catered specifically to adolescent white men, with their depiction of women and treating of non-European cultures as "backward." This was not universally true (so don't at me with the exceptions) but it was true enough that 5e designers like Jeremy Crawford have openly pointed that that they actively true to make 5e as welcoming as possible to people of different genders, sexuality, and race. There have still been mistakes (I've heard some criticism for both the Vistani and Chultan depictions) but for the most part 5e's art and writing is a marked improvement and is perhaps the chief reason for its surge in popularity among younger generations today.

And that should make us all happier, yes?

He was confusing you for me, actually...

I saw Ming The Merciless personally, so it's probably supposed to be Mordenkainen

Unlikely, since he didn't go all Ming until TSR Jam in late 2nd edition.

1st edition Mordenkainen looked like this:

images

Hussar

Legend
I'd also point out that that picture is from Basic/Expert D&D, so, no Mordenkainen, and, it's also a cleric, note the cross on the holy symbol on his chest. We know he's not a wizard, since he doesn't have a pointy hat:

dragon.jpg

I'd also point out that that picture is from Basic/Expert D&D, so, no Mordenkainen, and, it's also a cleric, note the cross on the holy symbol on his chest. We know he's not a wizard, since he doesn't have a pointy hat:
Ah, that makes sense, You do get a pointy hat after finishing mage college.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads