D&D General Art in D&D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Urriak Uruk

Gaming is fun, and fun is for everyone
I remembered this piece Adobe did on D&D (interviewing Jeremy Crawford) that does a pretty good job in addressing some of the pieces we're talking about for art and diversity.

Hussar

Legend
No proofs. I state proofs. There was no "toxic male fandom" back then. Girls were doing what they did and either joined boys in what they were doing or vice versa. By the same token, if Girls were playing doll house are they then of "Toxic female fandom" if the boys did not wish to join and then judged them accordingly? No. Sometimes the two genders met, more often they did not, Mary Gygax, my sister, the Gygax girls, my girlfriends, my mother, my Aunts, they understand what we were dong and none of them had a mind to join in it even though the invites were there. Model train collectors and simulationists of the same time period--predominantly male as well--are now Toxic Males by such standards? Hogwash. They just admired trains and went about demonstrating their admiration for them, just as my sister went about admiring doll houses and built one, or gardens and planted one, or when she saw something in "alternative medicine" when the rest of the family did not. Difference. It makes the world go round if one can accept it as not being 'Toxic'.

Yes, and artists like Andre Norton were writing under a male pen name for absolutely no reason. :uhoh: That's some serious revisionist history going on there.

Enrico Poli1

Adventurer
Isn't it fun that the female body and its representation has become a political battlefield?

I'm male and proud of it, and I like beautiful feminine women.

Woke feminism, with all its "toxic masculinity" nonsense, is weakening both masculinity and femininity. Yeah, feminism damages women. Bad, very bad.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
Isn't it fun that the female body and its representation has become a political battlefield?

I'm male and proud of it, and I like beautiful feminine women.

Woke feminism, with all its "toxic masculinity" nonsense, is weakening both masculinity and femininity. Yeah, feminism damages women. Bad, very bad.

This sort of masculinity is toxic because it defines the environment for women rather than allowing them to participate in defining it. That‘s why this is a battlefield and exactly why you are on the wrong side of it.

Yes, and artists like Andre Norton were writing under a male pen name for absolutely no reason. :uhoh: That's some serious revisionist history going on there.
Yawn. C. L. Moore predated Norton and had no such limitations. You fishing hook has no worm.

220px-Weird_Tales_October_1934.jpg

If her gender wasn't an issue, why use initials instead of Catherine Moore? According to the wikipedia article, even her soon-to-be husband thought she was a man when he wrote a fan letter.

The Vagabond, a student-run magazine at Indiana University, published three of her stories when she was a student there. The three short stories, all with a fantasy theme and all credited to "Catherine Moore", appeared in 1930/31.[1] Her first professional sales appeared in pulp magazines beginning in 1933. Her decision to publish under the name "C.L. Moore" stemmed not from a desire to hide her gender, but to keep her employers at Fletcher Trust from knowing that she was working as a writer on the side.

Hriston

Dungeon Master of Middle-earth
Yet, and yet, this was clearly labeled by the artist as a halfling.
Well, the artist (or whoever labeled the picture) clearly knows very little about halflings. I mean, straight red hair? Everyone knows halflings have curly brown hair! I think the problem with depictions of halflings in D&D art for some time, if not since the beginning, is the moving away from the way Tolkien described them, which results in their being somewhat unrecognizable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads