D&D 5E Artificer: Alchemist Impressions

Chaosmancer

Legend
I was curious if there was something I might have missed in allowing the homunculus that much leeway. Other than my plan on playing an artificers crashed and I ended up DM'ing instead.

Allowing them to deliver potions? Nah, I wouldn't see that as too much. Not only have I seen a lot of people allow familiars (sometimes with many many hoops jumped through) do the exact same thing, but I fall into the camp that drinking a potion should be a bonus action, and only giving it to someone else should be an action. So, allowing the homonculus to use their action, which requires your bonus action to "unlock", to give someone a potion seems perfectly reasonable to me.

Dausuul

Legend
Just had a look at the final version of artificer and was pretty impressed. I am not a fan of magipunk, but the Artillerist is the only subclass with any strong magipunk flavor - Alchemist and Battle Smith both work fine in a more traditional fantasy setting. (Although it is a bit annoying that the Battle Smith, which is the dwarfiest class that ever dwarfed, does not play nicely with either of the core dwarf subraces. Being short on Intelligence really hurts. A campaign which includes both dwarves and artificers should either allow the Mark of Warding dwarf, stripped of its Eberron flavoring, or allow hill dwarves to swap out +1 Wisdom for +1 Intelligence.)

I really like how the class starts with a core of "limited utility magic plus kitting the party out with magic gear" and then allows you to use your subclass to determine your own capabilities: Blaster mage for the Artillerist, front-line fighter for the Battle Smith, or spellcasting generalist/healer for the Alchemist.

It is definitely a support-oriented class; it shines best in a party where you can use infusions to beef up your fellow PCs. Sure, you can use an Enhanced Weapon yourself, but it will serve you better in the hands of the party fighter who can Action Surge with it. And I like how you can alter your infusion loadout to suit the party's needs - when the fighter gets a +3 sword, you can pull the Enhanced Weapon infusion and give them a Repulsion Shield instead. (I do worry that the Artificer will suffer in a magic-heavy campaign where the whole party is tricked out in powerful gear and the infusions become redundant.)

Chaosmancer

Legend
Since this thread was necro'd anyways...

So, I actually just started a campaign with an Artificer Artillerist, and I have a few thoughts and notes.

Some background, we are starting at 5th level and running through "The Dungeon of the Mad Mage". I'm playing a Rock Gnome, and took the Healer Feat (though that was a tough call).

The Good

1) Arcane Firearm is really impressive. I don't think it has been too noticeable yet, but a 1d8 on all spells and cantrips is a sizable boost to my damage. Part of that might be that other than my cantrip I've used few damaging spells, but the one time I did it was an AOE and we only roll damage once for those. So that 1d8 applied to the entire group and was fairly devastating. But even without that, allowing me to average about 15 pts of damage a turn is keeping me in-line with all but our biggest damage dealer.

2) Protector Bot is life. Seriously, those Temp Hp are the reason we have not TPK'd yet. We are only two sessions in, but our DM is realizing a major problem. None of us sneak. We've pointed out, none of us can. Literally, we only have one person who does not have disadvantage due to their armor (the sorcerer) and none of us are more than moderate dex. So most fights start with us getting ambushed when we open the door. The only reason we are still up is because I've been able to dish out between 5 and 11 temp hp every single turn, usually hitting most of the party and I always prioritize the frontliners. For our next session I finally need to summon a new turret, and I'm going with the Cannon just to see how effective it is, but I can see using the Protector 99% of the time.

The Concerns (not problems, just things to watch out for when playing or running)

1) I think it is really important to pay attention to tools and probably the Xanathar's rules when you have an Artificer in the party. I know I got extras because of Rock Gnome and soldier, but I have 5 or 6 tool proficiencies when it was all said and done. It takes up a signifigant chunk of my character, and you have to respect that about an artificer when you get one in the party.

2) Melee is not your friend. This is partially a build choice, but despite my being quite decently armored I actually have almost no melee options. I got a dagger and that is the best I can do, and I spent my two cantrips on an attack and mending. Now, I could have taken a feat, gotten another cantrip, and had a melee option. I picked healer because I was planning on being supportive, so this is on me, but you do not get many good melee options at all, so if you don't leave a cantrip for that, you are going to be struggling hard if anyone corners you.

3) You are very limited on spells. Honestly, play a bit like a warlock. Rely on your at-will most of the time and only use those big spells when they are going to have an out-sized impact. Except for making those turrets because they will be mire useful than a 1st level slot, but you run out quick. 5th level, and I only had 2 level two spells. In fact, I've only used three daily resources at all. With one infusion on me for casting (+1 focus) and one to increase the defenses of an ally. If you are an artificer, you will likely be doing the same attack pattern again and again and again, because you have to.

Ashrym

Legend
You are very limited on spells. Honestly, play a bit like a warlock. Rely on your at-will most of the time...

Definitely. I'm playing a Cannith human alchemist and find I spam cantrips, use flaming spheres, and focus on boldness and resilience elixirs. Combat typically has a lot of sameness.

The class is useful but definitely support, and I find out of combat more diverse than in combat by far.

I think the term is reliable 😊
like the 8-10 Melfs Acid Arrows you can cast when you imbue that spell into your Alchemist Tools with Spell Storing at 11th level.

Ashrym

Legend
I think the term is reliable 😊
like the 8-10 Melfs Acid Arrows you can cast when you imbue that spell into your Alchemist Tools with Spell Storing at 11th level.

Just think....

The spell storing item uses the "use an object" action instead of the "cast a spell" action. That means your alchemist can use the extra turn granted by haste to cast Melf's acid arrow. ;)

The spell storing item can be crazy useful. Fill it with invisibility or alter self, for example. Everyone in the party can use it and each uses his or her own concentration casting the spell individually to bypass the artificer's concentration limit.

At that level the alchemist with repulsion shield, enhanced defense, and replicate item: cloak of protection can use an elixir of resilience and cast haste for AC bonuses (self or other PC's). Use ray of sickness in the spell storing item. Spend the hasted turn on ray of sickness for bonus damage and disadvantage on attacks by that opponent. Spam cantrips on the regular turn. For a major encounter that would use two spells (one if the elixir was one of the free ones, more handing out more elixirs) and the spell storing item.

At 10th level the artificer has 9 spell slots. At 11th level the artificer has 10 spell slots and 10 spells through the spell storing item, literally doubling spells. The item gives slots comparable to a full caster even if it does not give access to the high levels of spells. It's a really strong ability.

Remove ads