D&D 5E As a DM cleric spells to watch out for in 5e?

Two things. First, Xanathar’s is all optional content. It’s not RAW in the same sense as the PHB. Second, guidance is an action to cast with concentration of 1 minute. Cast it before you enter then negotiate. Negotiate for a minute or two, step outside, get another guidance, go back inside and negotiate some more. Overcoming the “roadblocks” you suggest are trivial.
NPCs are not absolutely stupid or oblivious. They live (usually) in a world filled with magic. There is no reason (usually) for them not to be aware of the possibility for such, and therefore they should act accordingly.
This is the DM making a call. Nowhere in the rules does it say anything about a +10 to Insight or tossing the character.
I don't do +10, I give advantage/disadvantage because I like that mechanic better. Or I just make the NPC hostile "You get yourself right out of here! I don't know what your friend just did there to ya, but I know you are up to no good! Get before I call the guard on you, ya mangy daughter of a hyena!"

overgeeked

B/X Known World
NPCs are not absolutely stupid or oblivious. They live (usually) in a world filled with magic. There is no reason (usually) for them not to be aware of the possibility for such, and therefore they should act accordingly.
The difference being the ability to tell if a spell was obviously cast, i.e. no means or attempt to hide it, visible components, etc…vs identifying exactly what spell was cast. It is completely reasonable to have just about everyone in a magic fantasy setting be aware of magic existing and being able to say, yep…that person just cast a spell. What’s a wildly over-the-top suggestion, as made by the poster I was responding to, is that everyone in the world could make a check to identify exactly what spell was being cast.
I don't do +10, I give advantage/disadvantage because I like that mechanic better. Or I just make the NPC hostile "You get yourself right out of here! I don't know what your friend just did there to ya, but I know you are up to no good! Get before I call the guard on you, ya mangy daughter of a hyena!"
Yep. Same. NPCs have and like having bodily autonomy. So when a spell is cast on them they object. Sometimes violently. If a merchant sees someone cast a spell in their shop they immediately call the guard. The shopkeeper doesn’t know what spell is being cast or why. No reason to use magic if you’re on the up-and-up.

The difference being the ability to tell if a spell was obviously cast, i.e. no means or attempt to hide it, visible components, etc…vs identifying exactly what spell was cast. It is completely reasonable to have just about everyone in a magic fantasy setting be aware of magic existing and being able to say, yep…that person just cast a spell. What’s a wildly over-the-top suggestion, as made by the poster I was responding to, is that everyone in the world could make a check to identify exactly what spell was being cast.
At least in the case of Guidance, that would be better! I can see some merchants warily accepting a bit of guidance from someone's god, as opposed to not knowing and being worried about a full on magical roofy.

Stalker0

Legend
I houseruled guidance simply due to the annoyance factor, as DM I just didn't want to deal with it. Even if I could tame the abuses, I still didn't enjoy having to say no to "can I use guidance?" all the time.

The spell is now:

Guidance
Duration: 1 hour (concentration)
Six targets you specify gain a +1 to ability checks.

Super simple. Its now weaker in terms of raw bonus than the standard, but it affects pretty much everything, even initiative. No one has to question whether guidance works for X check or not...they just add it in. A true fire and forget. My players still love guidance, they use it all the time...and as I DM I haven't had to answer the guidance question in the last two whole campaigns. Perfection.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
At least in the case of Guidance, that would be better! I can see some merchants warily accepting a bit of guidance from someone's god, as opposed to not knowing and being worried about a full on magical roofy.
Right...but it's the PCs using guidance on each other to be better at negotiating against the merchant. So not likely to be acceptable. Plus, your average peasant or merchant not being able to tell the difference between guidance or charm person or friendship is a reasonable thing to expect.

As a DM I have repeatedly been introduced to the PC cleric of my group's favorite 2nd 3rd level spell spirit guardians, the auto damage to enemies only in an area ongoing spell which is super effective. It seems to have significantly altered fights it gets deployed in, which is most of them. My games narratively rarely have large numbers of separate encounter fights per game day so it often gets deployed in combat.
Spirit Guardians isn't an OP spell but is very misunderstood. It isn't an absolute encounter-melter although it appears to be. What it is is a highly effective taunt. It's a concentration spell that will keep running and melting the enemies until the cleric fails a concentration check - so every enemy within 15ft should be attacking the cleric or having their friends shoot them until that spell goes down. If it goes down after only a couple of attacks then it's little more than a cantrip while if it stays up two entire rounds it's about as effective as a fireball (which is also a third level spell).

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
The spell which alters our setting the most is Sending. It's not a "bad" spell but it fundamentally changes how your PCs will achieve quests they're on. It's a rare adventuring day where we don't conclude the day with one or more Sending spells to allies, or information brokers, or even enemies.

Remove ads