D&D 5E "As DM, I Know How All the PCs' Abilities, Spells, and Items Work" (a poll)

"As DM, I know how all the PC abilities, spells, and items work to the best of my ability."

• True.

Votes: 59 46.5%
  • False.

Votes: 68 53.5%

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
I added the "to the best of my ability" caveat because I know it is virtually impossible to know how everything works or to remember it accurately all the time, so the poll question here is about intention not results. We all forget some things some time, so just because you have forgotten how something works at some point doesn't mean it is false, if it is your objective to know how they all work.
I don’t understand what the question actually is, then. Is it “I try to remember how all the PCs’ abilities work”?

F' no, I'm not their parent.

Err, well, I am for one of my players, but not my responsibility. The players are responsible for knowing their own "stuff", I got plenty of other things to worry about. The players are capable of learning how to code their own effects. And I certainly don't need to know the details in order to create challenging encounters for them. I don't believe encounters need (or should) be perfectly balanced. Nor do I need to worry if a challenge is actually winnable. My players are smart and creative problem solvers. I just give them a problem based on how I thin the BBEG (or opponent) would set things up and make the players figure out how to beat it.

For example, current campaign and current problem: a town that has one of their arch-enemies forces in it. So I gave some simple details of local NPCs and laid out a few clues on how they might get leads to where the BBEG is, or at least to the bad guys local stronghold (which can lead them to the BBEG stronghold). But, we ended the last session with the player doing no social interactions in the town. No investigations, no talking to NPCs. They used divination magic to figure out where the local stronghold is and are planning to hit it with an earthquake. Who knows if they are then going to be able to get a lead to the BBEG hideout.

Not my problem. the BBEG will just go about their business either way (which no doubt will give other possible clues later). I present challenges, it is up to them to determine how to solve them, or to run away and maybe come back later.

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
I have five players who are currently level 6-7ish, that's a huge number of things I'd need to know. I'll generally have some vague idea that might even be solid for many of them but most of them are going to have more than one niche edge case ability
edit most of my games run to low to mid teens

Last edited:

Redwizard007

Adventurer
All? No, but im pretty close. Building OP min-maxed munchkins as a thought exercise has helped me understand the classes better. What does occasionally catch me off guard, is different players combining abilities in ways I hadn't expected.

My favorite move is, "read the ability out loud. Uh, huh. And what does the next sentence say?" 99% of the time the answer to "can I _____," is right after the punctuation the player stopped reading at. Blows my freaking mind.

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
All? No, but im pretty close. Building OP min-maxed munchkins as a thought exercise has helped me understand the classes better. What does occasionally catch me off guard, is different players combining abilities in ways I hadn't expected.

My favorite move is, "read the ability out loud. Uh, huh. And what does the next sentence say?" 99% of the time the answer to "can I _____," is right after the punctuation the player stopped reading at. Blows my freaking mind.
So very true. Last session I had a player arguing to use an ability that let's him "lways" add his wisdom mod to a particular skill being refused... "what exactly does it say"" - >"you can add your wisdom mod to a different skill under specific circumstances"

Its sad how often that kind of thing happens these days

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
I probably used to, but that was with the PHB, and even then many spells i wouldn't know. Now, with all the various subclasses, or even the artificer, I don't know anywhere near as much as previously.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem

There are a number or questions on reddit that look like they could be solved just by reading the class feature in question.

Peter BOSCO'S

Adventurer
All but the Druid, who might have prepared any of scores of spells that day, and the Warlock, whose player seems to think that leveling up requires rebuilding, and not merely permits it in my game. The Fighter and the Rogue I understand.

wedgeski

Adventurer
I know the in's and out's of the classes in play in my weekly game, but I couldn't recite the level progression table off the top of my head.

I've never had the best recall and don't see it as an attainable goal. We bat rules questions around the table until an agreement is reached, and if we get things wrong around the edges sometimes, no biggie.

Remove ads