D&D 5E ASCENSION, The Codex of Exalted, Book 1: Players Guide

Rogerd1

Adventurer
There are two types of gods in Ascension: original gods and mortal creatures who achieve apotheosis. Players are of the later type by default. Regardless of the method, gods of all ranks have access to mortal, incorporeal, and true forms. The game primarily deals with true forms as they are the most powerful and functional.

PS - thank you for the conversation and your ideas about deities and exalted. I enjoy it!
So let's look at reality warping in DnD. That pretty much requires Wish (lesser or Greater).

Environment Control is what it is called in M&M, 1 point per rank. First gets you 30 feet cubed, and goes up using the main matrix in the beginning of the book.

Now Remote Sensing, 1 point per level / sense. So using two senses would be 2 points. And a flat 1 point let's you reach across one dimension. 2 = group of related dimensions, and 3 for all of them.

This is why DnD, is not really suited to the power level you're doing here. No offense intended, it is just not geared for it. In fact, M&M 2e, uses all the usal DnD / PF stats.

For Ascension I have worried about how much I should hold over from 5e and gone back and forth on mechanics. Recently I decided not to worry about how much it looks like or plays like 5e and just make the game I want.
In fact M&M 2e actually converts a good chunk of monsters, and a god to its system. And to be honest M&M would be the best pick for what you are doing here. Trust me on this.

Which picture? I originally started this project as a Kickstarter and commissioned a good bit of art. So some of the art in this thread unique that I commissioned or created myself.
I meant the one in your OP. for some reason I really like it. It is understated, but shows power. So just curious where you got it from.

dave2008

Legend
So let's look at reality warping in DnD. That pretty much requires Wish (lesser or Greater).
PS - gods warp reality with their authority in this game, not spells (aka Wish).
Environment Control is what it is called in M&M, 1 point per rank. First gets you 30 feet cubed, and goes up using the main matrix in the beginning of the book.

Now Remote Sensing, 1 point per level / sense. So using two senses would be 2 points. And a flat 1 point let's you reach across one dimension. 2 = group of related dimensions, and 3 for all of them.

This is why DnD, is not really suited to the power level you're doing here. No offense intended, it is just not geared for it. In fact, M&M 2e, uses all the usal DnD / PF stats.
I'm sorry, I do not understand your argument so I cannot really retort. I am not sure what you are talking about / where you are going with regard to environment control / remote sensing and points. That is not what I am doing with Ascension. Why bring this up?

Furthermore, what does that have to do with a certain power level and D&D?

I get that you don't seem to think D&D scales up to some undefined level of power. And that may be true, but what I am doing is quite a bit different from standard D&D, so I don't really see that as an issue (or at least an issue for people who want to play this type of game).
In fact M&M 2e actually converts a good chunk of monsters, and a god to its system. And to be honest M&M would be the best pick for what you are doing here. Trust me on this.
What does M&M stand for? Mutants and Masterminds? I will look at it, but I already know basically what I am doing. Just a few details to iron out and a lot more to post. I am happy with what I have planned so far.
I meant the one in your OP. for some reason I really like it. It is understated, but shows power. So just curious where you got it from.
I commissioned it from an artist I found on UA reddit. It is a homage to the original Immortal box cover art:
1635880142532.png

Rogerd1

Adventurer
PS - gods warp reality with their authority in this game, not spells (aka Wish).

I'm sorry, I do not understand your argument so I cannot really retort. I am not sure what you are talking about / where you are going with regard to environment control / remote sensing and points. That is not what I am doing with Ascension. Why bring this up?

Furthermore, what does that have to do with a certain power level and D&D?

I get that you don't seem to think D&D scales up to some undefined level of power. And that may be true, but what I am doing is quite a bit different from standard D&D, so I don't really see that as an issue (or at least an issue for people who want to play this type of game).

What does M&M stand for? Mutants and Masterminds? I will look at it, but I already know basically what I am doing. Just a few details to iron out and a lot more to post. I am happy with what I have planned so far.

My point is that Mutants and Masterminds captures the right power level, DnD, just cannot and will break far more readily as a system. And Environmental Control is how easily M&M showcases reality warping, or sensing across dimensions. Something DnD cannot readily emulate.

So you have some hard work trying to keep it within what is essentially 5e framework, without breaking the entire system, or having to rebuild it from the ground up.

Keep going I will be watching to see where you take this.

dave2008

Legend
My point is that Mutants and Masterminds captures the right power level, DnD, just cannot and will break far more readily as a system. And Environmental Control is how easily M&M showcases reality warping, or sensing across dimensions. Something DnD cannot readily emulate.
OK, but I don't feel you have explained the how and why you think D&D doesn't scale. However, that is really irrelevant to me as....
So you have some hard work trying to keep it within what is essentially 5e framework, without breaking the entire system, or having to rebuild it from the ground up.
...I am not limiting myself to the 5e framework.
Keep going I will be watching to see where you take this.
Thank you - I look forward to future comments!

U_nderscor_e

Villager
Hi! I just wanted to pop in to say, this thing is awesome and I can't wait for it to be complete! I'm currently planning a homebrew campaign that will take my players to godhood, so when I found this, I was so excited. Keep up the great work!

dave2008

Legend
Hi! I just wanted to pop in to say, this thing is awesome and I can't wait for it to be complete! I'm currently planning a homebrew campaign that will take my players to godhood, so when I found this, I was so excited. Keep up the great work!
Thanks! I hope to get some good progress made over the end-of-year holidays.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases