• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Ashamed of being a Gamer?

Elf Witch

First Post
Maybe, with some, that might be true. You're waaaayyy off-base with me. With me, it's less To-hell-with-you-this-is-who-I-am and more Sun Tzu: Why position myself that way when it may tarnish perception of me?

The to-hell-with-you bit I reserve for battles I choose to fight.

Whatever. I still maintain that there is a huge difference between hiding this from casual friends and acquaintances, bosses and lying to your spouse about it.

And from reading your posts it seems like you are trying to make a case on why it is necessary to do this.

You keep bringing up society at large making it difficult for gamers. And a lot of us are saying that it is not society at large but some members who are narrow minded jerks.

There is a also a big difference between not going out of your way to let people know about your hobby and feeling the need to hide it away from the rest of the world.

Water Bob

Adventurer
Whatever. I still maintain that there is a huge difference between hiding this from casual friends and acquaintances, bosses and lying to your spouse about it.

And from reading your posts it seems like you are trying to make a case on why it is necessary to do this.

I've tried to make no case other than you really don't know what you're talking about when it comes to this topic.

My friend and I went to see Act of Valor tonight. I told him about this thread on the net, and I told him how some posters insist on giving him marital advice.

He got a big laugh out of it.

So did I.

catsclaw227

First Post
My friend and I went to see Act of Valor tonight. I told him about this thread on the net, and I told him how some posters insist on giving him marital advice.

So did I.
I am not sure who's giving marital advice. What I see is people (including myself) saying that repeatedly, knowingly and willfully lying to your spouse is wrong. But it sounds like you guys think that's funny. I am sure it's a fine example for the two kids.

[EDIT: Forget that last part... I suppose I made my point without an example.]

Last edited:

Elf Witch

First Post
I've tried to make no case other than you really don't know what you're talking about when it comes to this topic.

So did I.

No one is giving him martial advice since we are not talking to him and he is not posting here.

We are saying that lying to your spouse on a regular basis regardless of why is a bad idea.

I have a low opinion of liars in general and in my personal opinion they are basically cowards who are afraid to deal with the consequences of their actions.

I do know what I am talking about when it comes to the topic of being a liar and being ashamed of your hobbies that you feel the need to lie to them to the person you are building and sharing a life with.

Like I said it seems you have a vested interest in having your world view that you must hide gaming because of society vindicated.

I volunteer at GenCon for the ENnie awards (Audio producer) and True Dungeon (DM/year round set builder). I wear my geek shirts into the public at large. I converted my wife into a gamer, raised to gamer kids and our yearly family vacation is GenCon (and one of the few times we get to see our son who is now in college.)

I will tell anyone that asks about my shirts, clothing, appearance about my hobby. If they look at me weird, that's their problem. I grew up in the buckle of the Bible belt during the D&D is Satanic years and didn't care then. Now that it is more mainstream (thank you WoW/Sci-Fi(SyFy) channel/BBC America, etc) I see no reason not to embrace it. Gamers are literally crawling out of the wood work and taking up the banner in all sorts of ways.

Vin Diesel is my favorite "I can't believe he's a D&D geek" story, having his first character's name tattooed over his naval, very vocal in interviews on TV (Conan, Leno, Letterman, Colbert) and teaching Dame Judi Dench to play whilst filming the Chronicles of Riddick. Hell, I think it's weirder to be "normal" than be a gamer these days. :cool:

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I do know what I am talking about when it comes to the topic of being a liar and being ashamed of your hobbies that you feel the need to lie to them to the person you are building and sharing a life with.

Right. So do other people. Two people can know what they're talking about, but still disagree, you know. Different people, different situations, different needs, different reactions. No one-size-fits-all answer.

(Hello all! My first posting. I recently learnt of this forum, and this topic, from a Youtuber.)

I am quite the opposite! In my office at work, on top of my desk, I have two sets of Polyhedral dice, a giant D20 die, posters on the wall in relation to roleplaying, LARPing, being a geek, Fields of the Nephilim (Goth), Abby Scuito, Firefly, Doctor Who, etc.

One of my former colleagues (senior staff member) told me she is a Doctor Who fan, a former RPG gamer, and a former Goth!

I work in Public Health, which includes sexual health promotion, so we are a bit more broad-minded in my office, especially considering our line of work and the "items" we keep in our storeroom! :D

I also play Gothic Rock music in my office (Fields of the Nephilim, The Eden House, Last Rites, Sisters of Mercy), etc, dress in black clothing (it's a Goth thing) and wear a large wide-brimmed black hat with Goth and Doctor Who badges on it. I am like a male version of Abby Scuito!

Mallus

Legend
Ashamed? No. A walking advertisement for the games and the media franchises I quite enjoy? Not that, either.

I own all of one non-plain t-shirt. It does, as it so happens, have a stylized Dalek head-dome on it, along with the word "EXTERMINATE". I bought it at a local art fair. I only started wearing it outside of our house when I noticed my wife wearing it under a cardigan while we were out for dinner one recent evening.

I may bump my nerdy shirt collection up to two, though. My wife sent me a link to an Etsy seller selling a shirt w/Mr. Spock on the front and the words, "Trek Yourself Before You Wreck Yourself".

Genius, that is...

Last edited:

Remove ads