• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Ask an OTTer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kramodlog

Naked and living in a barrel
Like when some people say that EnWorlders behave differently than the rest of the internet, as if they were a group, and that some EnWorlder actually behave like the rest of the internet?

jonesy

A Wicked Kendragon
Some of you do, and some of you don't.

I think the biggest mistake your group did was coming here and instantly identifying as this group that got itself kicked from the previous site. You labeled yourselves as an entity that does and thinks as a group, when you are individuals with varying opinions and personalities.

When one of you says something like "You are all accusing us of [a thing]" it's unfair to some inside your group who clearly didn't even have an opinion on the issue.
Continuing on this:

Isn't this why some of you are here? I've seen comments from some of you where they complain that not only did they do nothing to deserve getting kicked out, they actually did nothing. They got kicked out because the people on the wotc side of things saw you as this group. I mean, that's how it seems from the way some of you have been talking.

Jeremy E Grenemyer

Feisty
Supporter
We come off as rude and abrasive!? I always thought we were cute and cuddly.
You are cute and cuddly.

You're also a fan of the Forgotten Realms, which makes you an exceptionally sleek and stylish OTTer, as well as someone that I think shouldn't have been banned.

But some of your fellows fight for the sake of fighting and disingenuously cry foul when they get called on it. They also overreact to anything they perceive as a personal attack and absolutely refuse to hear any explanation as to why their perception is incorrect.

(And none of this is the fault of WotC's forum moderation.)

I hope EnWorld can discourage those traits, while encouraging the OTTers sense of humor, reckless courage and sense of community.

Also, their knowledge of comic books. I got a couple of comic book recommendations in WotC forum threads where OTTers participated (one of 'em started the thread too, if I recall) that turned out to be really, really good.

Thanks to them I refamiliarized myself with the writing of Mark Millar (Superman: Red Son) and got acquainted with the works of Brian Azzarello and Lee Bermejo (Luthor).

Remus Lupin

Adventurer
Like when some people say that EnWorlders behave differently than the rest of the internet, as if they were a group, and that some EnWorlder actually behave like the rest of the internet?

If Enworld is different it's because we respect the rules set out by Morrus and the mods, and a culture of respect has grown up around the knowledge that the rules will be fairly enforced. That's not a function of Enworders per se, but the behavior that's expected and encouraged at Enworld.

Zombie_Babies

First Post
But some of your fellows fight for the sake of fighting and disingenuously cry foul when they get called on it.

Hi. I was pretty much accused of doing that when I wasn't. It seems some ENWorlders don't like to be contradicted - or aren't used to seeing certain people here contradicted. Anyhoo, I was looked at as though I was trolling when I was actually arguing my opinion so this sort of mistake happens on both ends. When you assume I'm going to do something it makes it very hard for me to prove otherwise.

They also overreact to anything they perceive as a personal attack and absolutely refuse to hear any explanation as to why their perception is incorrect.

This is true and it's something a lot of us do have to work on.

(And none of this is the fault of WotC's forum moderation.)

Not totally true. It's been explained before and I'll only touch on it a tiny bit out of respect for requests to let it drop but I can assure you moderation there did have an influence on this. Mostly because they had favorites and wouldn't respond to reports we made when said favorites actually personally attacked us. Honest, it happened.

I hope EnWorld can discourage those traits, while encouraging the OTTers sense of humor, reckless courage and sense of community.

This sounds like an excellent outcome to me. :)

Kramodlog

Naked and living in a barrel
If Enworld is different it's because we respect the rules set out by Morrus and the mods, and a culture of respect has grown up around the knowledge that the rules will be fairly enforced. That's not a function of Enworders per se, but the behavior that's expected and encouraged at Enworld.
You didn't get what I said. Jonesy's reproach applies to EnWorlders too. I find it funny when people say "do as I say, but not as I do".

You are cute and cuddly.

You're also a fan of the Forgotten Realms, which makes you an exceptionally sleek and stylish OTTer, as well as someone that I think shouldn't have been banned.

How, how do you know Im a fan of the Realms!? Oh, I see, youve hung out in the Tavern before. What name did you go by over there?

And yes,we do have a tendency to over-react to perceived attacks, alot of that has to do with experiences over at the WotC site. We'll try to chill on that (right guys?). For the most part everyone here, from my experience, is pretty kool.

Jeremy E Grenemyer

Feisty
Supporter
You would have known me as Mr_Miscellany on those forums.

I think you'll really enjoy ENWorld. It's a place I've quietly enjoyed for a decade. :)

Oh hey Mr M, I never would have guessed. Some of the others thought for sure that you was the dreaded Thread Reporter, I tried to tell them that thats not the way you rolled. I think it something to do with you being "friends" with Timmeh, a poster we had lots of problems with. I think part of the over-all problem with the OTTers is that we kid around (insult) with each other all the time, and we pretty much treat everyone else as if they were OTTers, some people, like Timmeh, were extremely put off by this, but really it was just our way of saying welcome to the Tavern, not too many people seemed to understand that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads