D&D General At what level(s) do you start your D&D campaigns?

At what level(s) do you start your D&D campaigns?

Votes: 80 75.5%

Votes: 41 38.7%

Votes: 7 6.6%

Votes: 4 3.8%

Votes: 2 1.9%

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 1 0.9%

Votes: 1 0.9%

• 19+

• Other: Explain in thread

Votes: 9 8.5%

Laurefindel

Legend
OK, now you got me baffled. In the other thread you were advocating for a more mundane lvl 1-20 campaign (with specifically less epic lvl 15-20) and now I find out you don't even start until lvl 3! You sir, are an enigma ;)
I can get behind that however. I find that D&D’d sweet-spot is between level 3 and 13. If I’m going to rush everything before and after, might as well get right into the action and finish before the enjoyment of the game degraded too much

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
OK, now you got me baffled. In the other thread you were advocating for a more mundane lvl 1-20 campaign (with specifically less epic lvl 15-20) and now I find out you don't even start until lvl 3! You sir, are an enigma ;)
😂 I’m not that confusing. I explained why I don’t like to start at level 1. That preference doesn’t interfere at all with my preference to keep the game somewhat grounded throughout the entire course of the campaign, or my desire to be able to do that with a much longer campaign than I currently can.

Levels 1 and 2 take a single session to get through. They don’t make a campaign last any longer. All they do is force the players to play the apprentice of their character concept, at best. Oftentimes, they mean playing soemthing that is actually a different concept, such as playing an Eldritch Knight Fighter, or a Melee weapon focused wizard.

I don't have a set level because I start the game based entirely of a level of which the story I seek to tell fits. I.e. if I intend to tell a traditional hero's journey of zeros to heroes, I'll do either level 1 or 2 (I prefer level 2 just because it gives a slight hp boost with little power gain). If I'm just wanting to run a Tier 2 story where the players start as experienced, yet still basically mortal adventurers (i.e. the non-hobbit LOTR characters), I start at level 5.

The point is that it is about matching the tone of the story I want to run. If we're setting out to tell a story about superhero-esque avengers level characters, you shouldn't start at level 1, it just pads the game and makes it boring. Not EVERY tale needs to be a hero's journey.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
1, 3, 5, or 15 depending on the game system or campaign.

But usually I start at the level that characters are considered "trained and skilled" and are knowledgeable enough to be trusted to quest and advance their own training. in 5e, that's level 3.

Level 1 is a raw novice or apprentice. You wouldn't sent a wizard's apprentice, a squire, a gang tough, and a choir boy on a quest without their masters.

Shiroiken

Legend
Our group normally starts at level 3, because at that point everyone has really started their character design. The only thing that anyone might be missing is a defining feat, which they can pick up in 1 level. Recently we've started at level 1 because of running APs, and we've gotten a new appreciation for it due to the increased danger levels 1-2 have.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases