Attack Actions and Attacks of Opportunity

Masked

First Post
I really don't feel like looking this up. So I plead for your benevolence.

Can you do a trip, disarm, etc. as an attack of opportunity?

That's all I need to know.

Artgeek

First Post
I try to make Attacks of Opportunity as simple as possible. I usually don't allow my players to use feats or perform any complicated maneuvers as AoOs. An AoO is a quick melee attack against an opponent that has dropped her guard for just a moment. Combat gets that much more complicated if you allow ANY kind of attack be used as an attack of opportunity.

Also, keep in mind that an AoO never provokes an AoO.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Combat gets that much more complicated if you allow ANY kind of attack be used as an attack of opportunity.

That's all well and good, but it's a house rule.

"An Attack of Opportunity is a single melee attack" - PHB Glossary.

"As a melee attack, you may make a disarm attempt."
"You can use a melee attack with a slashing weapon to strike a weapon or shield..."
"You can try to trip an opponent as a melee attack."

They're all legal AoOs, according to the rules. You can rule otherwise if you choose, but it is a house rule.

Grapple, Bull Rush, and Overrun, for example, can't be used as AoOs, because they're not defined as melee attacks.

Also, keep in mind that an AoO never provokes an AoO.

Do you have a reference for that?

To the best of my knowledge, if you make a Sunder or Disarm attempt as an AoO, or if you AoO an armed opponent while you yourself are unarmed, they're entitled to an AoO.

-Hyp.

SpikeyFreak

First Post
Hypersmurf said:

Do you have a reference for that?

To the best of my knowledge, if you make a Sunder or Disarm attempt as an AoO, or if you AoO an armed opponent while you yourself are unarmed, they're entitled to an AoO.

-Hyp.
You don't threaten an area if you are unarmed, which means you can take AoOs.

Although I agree that there isn't a rule that says an AoO can't provoke another AoO.

--Hyper Spikey

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
You don't threaten an area if you are unarmed, which means you can take AoOs.

Reference?

"Creatures threaten all areas into which they can make melee attacks." - PHB Glossary, "threaten".
"Unarmed Attack : A melee attack made with no weapon in hand." - PHB Glossary, "unarmed attack".

p140, dealing with the differences between attacking unarmed and attacking with a weapon doesn't mention a lack of threat.

-Hyp.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
An AoO can certainly provoke another AoO and not only from the person who you are making the attack against.

What's an example of provoking one from someone else, out of curiosity?

In the PHB, the only ones I can see (unarmed attack, disarm, strike a weapon) that provoke AoOs explicitly say "from the defender". Most of the actions that provoke AoOs from anyone who threatens you don't seem to be simple melee attacks...

-Hyp.

Bavix

First Post
Sorry for the confusion

Hey guys,

I posted earlier as Artgeek from work and stated that an AoO never provokes an AoO. I was refering to using my option of no "fancy" AoOs.

My last statement should have read:

Also, keep in mind that by using this option an AoO never provokes an AoO.

Sorry, I was in a hurry to leave work.

I am curious about one thing. Where in the rules does it state that an AoO can be anything but a "single melee attack." I know that disarm, trip, etc. act as a melee attack but then again (according to PHB page 137) starting a grapple "is the equivalent of making a melee attack." Where does it end?

The way I see it, when you make an attack that provokes an AoO (like disarm or strike a weapon) you don't threaten the area for a brief moment, thus provoking an AoO. If you're provoking an AoO, even for a brief moment, the moment of opportunity to make your AoO would be gone

You can solve this problem by taking the Improved Disarm or Sunder feats, eliminating the hesitation in your attack that provokes the AoO from opponents and letting you make AoO in the brief instant that opponets provoke them from you.

I know this is gonna start an argument but it is something to think about.

Remove ads