• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

ATTENTION: Story Hour in Print? (Authors and Readers, come in!)

Would you like to see your favorite Story Hour in paperback?

• I am an author, and would love to be published, even if I don't make a ton of money from it.

Votes: 61 22.4%
  • I am an author and would like to be published, but I would only do it for a profit.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I am an author, but would not consider publishing my Story Hour under any circumstances.

Votes: 4 1.5%
  • I am a reader, and would pay more than standard price to have my favorite story in print.

Votes: 91 33.5%
  • I am a reader, and would pay standard bookstore prices for the book, but no more.

Votes: 136 50.0%
  • I am a reader, but you ain't getting my money for this, no way, no how.

Votes: 25 9.2%

JoeBlank

Explorer
I am a reader, and would pay more than standard price to have my favorite story in print.

This was my vote, but it is not entirely true. I don't have a favorite story hour, as I just can not bring myself to read a novel-length story on the computer screen. And I've never gotten around to printing one out.

I spend enough time on this board, and the internet in general, that when it comes time to read I want to relax in my easy chair with a cup of coffee/tea or glass of scotch, and not stare at a screen and click a keyboard. So the only story hours I have read completely are those of games in which I participated. I usually read those a session at a time.

Still, I would pay a premium to see if some of the highly-touted stories would grab me in print form. I've had more people tell me to read Sepulchrave or PC than I have Martin or Hobb.

The anthology format would probably suit me best. If I were an author, I would be tempted by the leather-bound volume, but as a new reader that might be a little more than I would want to pay. Still, I would probably splurge on it to support the EN community.

Cool idea, Wulf. Best of luck in getting this done.

Graf

Explorer
sorry to post without reading all 7 pages.
If it hasn't been mentioned I would comment that what sets a story hour apart from a normal story is the advanced level of information the reader has about the "rules system" (i.e. the world).

I voted more than standard price; I mean with game material.
The stories are great, but having an apendix in the back with stats and rules and so forth (and probably a larger than paperback sized book) would make a killer product.

IMHO, natch.

tariff

First Post
I haven't read all of the discussions on this subject, so if i am repeating something that has already been stated, my appologies. I have to agree with Sagiro, i think SH's as a whole wouldn't make a good stand alone novel for all the reasons already stated. However, what attracted me to them is reading how other groups faired in the D20 modules, especially the classics. "temple of elemental evil", "tomb of horrors", "city of the spider queen" etc, compared to my gaming group. I could see a market for that, maybe even package a book with a couple of the best SH's with the modules (obviously these wouldn't be initial release because noone would have played them yet, but how about on re-prints), also couldn't Dragon/Dungeon maybe pick up on these ideas and maybe run a few SH's. Just my thoughts

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads