• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

ATTENTION: Story Hour in Print? (Authors and Readers, come in!)

Would you like to see your favorite Story Hour in paperback?

• I am an author, and would love to be published, even if I don't make a ton of money from it.

Votes: 61 22.4%
  • I am an author and would like to be published, but I would only do it for a profit.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I am an author, but would not consider publishing my Story Hour under any circumstances.

Votes: 4 1.5%
  • I am a reader, and would pay more than standard price to have my favorite story in print.

Votes: 91 33.5%
  • I am a reader, and would pay standard bookstore prices for the book, but no more.

Votes: 136 50.0%
  • I am a reader, but you ain't getting my money for this, no way, no how.

Votes: 25 9.2%

ledded

Herder of monkies
Joshua Randall said:
<snip>
One area that I would emphasize is the "this is how D&D should be played" aspect, or the learn from the masters. You could then market the books to new gamers, as well as old gamers wanting to learn new tricks. Look at someone like Johnn Four's DM advice publications, and column in Dragon magazine, for inspiration. People eat that stuff up. Everyone wants to be a better gamer.

Don't try to hide the fact that these stories are based on D&D campaigns. Revel in it. Embrace it. That's how to succeed.
I agree with your sentiments here, though I'd like to reinforce the point that quite a few of the SH's on these boards are not D&D, but some other game (Modern, Star Wars, Traveller, etc). Sure, they are in the minority compared to the huge numbers of D&D stuff, but there are some extremely good story hours written about some intensely good games that have nothing at all to do with D&D. I know you, and most everyone else, realizes this, I just occasionally like to throw out a reminder (of course, our group has 3 different story hours going at once and none of them are D&D, so I'm a bit biased ;) ).

"Tales from the Gaming Table". I still think that has a very nice ring to it.

Lela

First Post
Wulf Ratbane said:
Yes you iz.

Anybody want to play amateur statistical analyst and throw out possible ways to read the poll results? ;)
Sure, why not?

[All prices are USD.]

As mentioned, a lot depends on what the poll takers viewed as Standard for paperpack (a word specific to the poll). While it was mentioned in the thread, not everyone reads the whole thing and many took the poll before they read the price. So, you may have groups viewing it as 6.99 through 8.99 and groups thinking of a different kind of paperback. Something more D&D related: 19.99 through 29.99.

I'm also willing to bet that most view above average price as being no more than 20% or 30% higher. So, assuming 30% and top price mentioned, they're looking at 11.69 and 38.98, respectively. And that may be pushing the line (or beyond) for most of those willing to pay above average.

Now, those familiar with Bad Axe probably expect amazing things from you Wulf. A lot of readers (and authors) don't really think you're going to charge the high amounts but just think you're checking your options, which may affect the poll. I'd expect far different results if I were the one to have opened it. And even more drastic changes had it been Morrus, Eric, Hong, or Horacio. Like it or not, you being you affects your results, both positively and negitively.

[Edit: Added the following.]

Ah, forgot. I'd expect both sides to move around. Some of those who say they would never buy it, ever, may change their mind when they see it online or, more likely, in a gaming store. And some of those who say they would pay above average won't purchase it at all.

Normally, I'd say that the two would average out but so many more say they're willing to buy it than not. In this case I think we're looking at a slight drop with poll results vs. actual sales. I'm going to say 5-10% based on my gut. My head is calling out 20%.

How'd I do?

Last edited:

ledded

Herder of monkies
Rackhir said:
At the risk of opening a can of worms, with a bit of rewriting might not Sep's stuff make for a better first attempt at publishing a novel? Aside from the very early posts, it is written in more of a novelistic style. <snip>
I agree, but for instance if this potential book is published as a set of excerpts/short stories with game info, maps, etc, a 'short story' type publication of the longer SH's like Sep's, PCats, etc may be a nice way to introduce their work and possibly lead into later novel publication. Depends on the story, I guess, but I've seen a few books get published that started as a short story published in a magazine or compilation work. Just a thought.

Steverooo

First Post
My Analysis:

Only a few authors responded, but of them, most would like to be published. Of those, only one would do it strictly for cash. Four wouldn't do it, at all, probably for IP issues...

Many more readers have responded, and only a few said "no way"! Of the interested, most seem willing to fork out "standard prices" for a "book". Whether that means paperback prices for a paperback, or $20-25 for an 8.5x11" "gaming book" is unclear.

Additionally, a few have expressed an interest in a fancy, leather-bound, gold-leafed hardbound volume, at a higher price. Only one or two have expressed interest, but perhaps more might be interested...

Maybe you should do a poll on price and format?

Still, it is a bit troubling (to me) that some seven percent of the readers are saying "no way you're getting my money". Because they can read it online? Quality (or lack thereof)? I'd like to know why, and don't recall anyone "saying".

Again, how many replies are you looking for in order to determine statistical relevance, to you?

Last edited:

Wulf Ratbane

Adventurer
Steverooo said:
Only a few authors responded, but of them, most would like to be published. Of those, only one would do it strictly for cash. Four wouldn't do it, at all, probably for IP issues...

Well, hey, "a few" is 20% of all respondents.

Of the interested, most seem willing to fork out "standard prices" for a "book". Whether that means paperback prices for a paperback, or $20-25 for an 8.5x11" "gaming book" is unclear.

Well, the "higher than standard" option in the poll was to account for the higher print costs of P.O.D. Since I wouldn't go that route at this point, I am sure I can sell the book for a reasonable price. (If you don't think the price you're paying for RPG books right now is reasonable, I can't help you.)

At this point, I'm basically ready to rock. All we need is a few people to nudge Piratecat into doing his part and off we go!

Wulf

Surreptitious

First Post
This thread convinced me to register.
I've been reading Piratecats storyhour for some time and I've enjoyed it immensely! Thank you for sharing it with us PC

The combination of a good narrative, discussion and some stats 'n mechanix now and then provides me with one of the best sources of inspiration for my FR games both as a Dm and as a player.

If a sourcebook (I see it as a sourcebook rather than a novel) containing the main narratiive of the exploits of the defenders of the dawn (or some other storyhour, I'll soon delve into others) complemented by stats, some mapsketches and a discussion of sources and modules tweaked into the campaign i would buy it for its plotlines, devious encounter locations and brilliant ideas for roleplaying in general.
IMO the price for a sourcebook like this should be about 20$

A good start would be to compile and edit the current thread, add map sketches and stats, then sell it as pdf. I would pay 6-7 $ for a file like this. I'd actually prefer this, as shipping to Denmark often add 6-10$ to the price.

Hope you manage to realize this project :)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads