D&D 5E Attribute Score Method

How do you determine a character's ability scores?

• Roll 3d6, Down The Line

Votes: 6 5.5%
  • Roll 3d6, With Adjustments

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Roll #d6, Down The Line

Votes: 5 4.6%
  • Roll #d6, With Adjustments

Votes: 30 27.5%
  • Point Buy

Votes: 72 66.1%
  • Other (Not Rolling or Point Buy)

Votes: 22 20.2%

prabe

Tension, apprension, and dissension have begun
Supporter
Other (and kinda strange) process:

Set your scores from 6-18. Half must be even, the other half must be odd; you cannot have three scores the same; the total modifiers must equal +9 (I'm generous). Then apply racial bonuses; you cannot boost a score past 18 at first level.

clearstream

(He, Him)
This is for people who are using the 5e version of D&D. Please don't vote for what you use if you use a different version of D&D. I am just curious where the 5e crowd sits on this issue. Thank you for your consideration and vote (or no vote)!
For my current campaign I switched to a deck of 18 cards, assign as drawn, no replacement. The deck is - 222223333444455555 - so base scores of 6-15.

It has proven impactful... making the campaign challenging even using the CR system as written.

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
That was one of the alternatives in the 1st Ed "Unearthed Arcana". Only you didn't get to choose the sizes of the individual pools - you picked a class first and it mandated the sizes of each of the 7 pools.
I remember that (we used it to create some seriously over the top cavaliers!) Though it is not quite what I described.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
I think I've used 4d6k3 since 2e but back then I also allowed players to adjust ability scores up to meet the minimum requirements for a class (not needed since 3e) with the caveat that you needed to put your highest score into the ability that needed to be bumped up. So if you wanted to play a paladin and your two highest scores were 16s, you could put one in strength but the other would have to go to your charisma to be bumped up instead of constitution for the bonus hit points.

Remove ads