[AU] Lost Dreams: The Stone Troll

DrSpunj

Explorer
Kalythar, Litorian Mageblade

Nodding at the bard with a wide grin, "That was very entertaining. Thank you for the song. I, too, am interested in any truth to the tale. More specifically, any real knowledge of hags, rhodin or trolls that might live in the area, or on the road ahead. By the way, name's Kalythar."

Erekose13

Explorer
The bards tale

Fazioul looks grateful that you enjoyed his song. "Pleased to be of your acquaintance. In answer to your questions, every tale has some grain of truth it just depends on the teller and of course what truths you are looking for.

"I was originally told this tale by a fisherman down in Sormere. He claimed that it was an ancient legend about nasty frog-like creatures that stole the family of a Devanian noble and sprited them out to their hide out on a rocky island. Having come here to Brightholme and other parts of the north, I have had to adapt the story a little to make it fit the audience a bit more. So yes I made some of it up, all in the creative license so to speak. However if you are looking for truth in the rumors of the hags, trolls and rhodin in the area, then yes there is some truth to be told.

"I have spent some time up here collecting the tales of the faen in Brightholme and also to the west in the Harrowdeep. Tales of hags who cause changes in the weather and charm unsuspecting quicklings abound. As are stories of heros defending their communities from the depredations of ice trolls. Rhodin are normally said to trouble the plains to the south towards Sormere, however a few rumors of late place several large tribes up further north. As to the citadel of crystaline ice, well that one even I doubt the truth of, a wandering loresong claimed to have seen it some time ago but sages I have consulted can find no record of it in the Akashic Memory."

Erekose13

Explorer
As he finishes, Fazioul looks around at where the group had once stood. "Wow never driven them off that fast. Hope my information helped. With everyone having dissappeared the bard goes back to singing, hoping to attract another paying audience. He must have carried on too much and driven everyone away.

Returning to your caravan you find that Master Mollen is making the final arrangements for the caravan to leave on the morrow. Bedding down for your last night in a bed you all take advantage of the comfortable surroundings in the little villa.

The next morning the caravan sets out once again towards the mountains in the west. Once outside the small woods that housed the little faen hommlet, you find that the wind has picked up quite a bit adding to the cold that you felt yesterday. The clouds overhead are looking a little meaner too, having gotten darker since last night. The sun tries pitifully to shine through the darkening storm as Lemm drives the wagons forward.

By about noon, it has begun to drizzle further adding to the dreary weather of the day. The rain picks up later in the afternoon and Master Mollen calls a halt not wanting to push the horses too much this early in the journey. You pack up the camp all around the wagons and huddle close under the eaves of the wagon-tops. From his perch atop one of the wagons, Lemm says, "Be on the look out, many a caravan has been taken unawares in a storm and while we are still pretty close to Brightholme, we shouldn't let our guards down."

The grey half-light forced through the dark stormhead above you slowly deepens as evening begins to wear on. Soon it is dark out and there is no way to light a fire in this wet weather. A flash of lightning to the west, followed after a few moments by a dull boom of thunder alights the horizon. All of you are on watch tonight, trying to peer through the pouring rain in all directions from beneath the wagons. More lightning strikes, but it is still a ways off yet.

A cry comes from the northern most watch - Korwin. "I think I saw something coming in that last burst of lightning. About 100 yards off on that low hillock up there." Kalythar watches the point at which Korwin was motioning. And as the the next bolt of lightning strikes - this time much closer - he sees five dark shapes running down the hill towards the caravan, maybe 80 yards away now. They were humanoid, but had long horns and carried a variety of weapons.

(ooc: I'll try to put up a map tonight, but please let me know how you react in the time you have before they close.)

Last edited:

Erekose13

Explorer
From what you can remember in your extensive study of the natural world, these probably fit the description of Rhodin. The Rhodin generally roam the southern plains surviving by raiding and plundering the weak. It would seem that the bard's story rang true that they have indeed migrated more north than normal.

EDIT - Map is up, click on link in my sig ~link~

Last edited:

DrSpunj

Explorer
Kalythar, Litorian Mage Blade 3

Itching to test his skills in a "real fight", Kalythar takes a 5' step to the right then draws his bow while muttering the words to a Heightened Seeker spell (10% Arcane Spell Failure chance because of his armor). As soon as he can take a reasonable shot at Enemy #2 given the poor illumination, he does so (+5 ranged, +5 Heightened Seeker spell, 1d8/x3 Bodkin arrow). While drawing a bead on #2, he yells out, "I've got the one on the right! What are we up against?"

Isida Kep'Tukari

Adventurer
Supporter
Kelsis the Bright-Eyed, female sibeccai akashic

"I'll take the one on the left. They're rhodin!" Kelsis calls. She draws her longbow and moves ahead, away from the horses, trying to mark her prey when the lightning flashes. If she gets a good shot, she'll take it.

OOC: I'm moving thirty feet ahead and targeting number five.

GladiusNP

First Post
Aadin Lofgred, 3rd Level Human Runethane

Aadin stares vainly into the lashing torrents of rain. "Cursed weather! I can't see them!" Casting his spear to the ground, and shrugging off his cloak, Aadin begins to draw a twisting, contorted rune in the air above the oaken shaft of his weapon. The scripted icon flares into the darkness brightly, then seems to settle onto the weapon, giving it an glowering, dull red hue.

Aadin is scribing a Rune of Affliction (flame) on the spear. When he finishes (ie. next round) he'll cast Animate weapon and direct the spear to attack the nearest Rhodin, moving behind the wagon as he does so.

Erekose13

Explorer
Round 1

Init:
Korwin
Kelsis
Kalythar
Rhodin
Aadin
Gren
Rinaldo

Korwin grabs his finely crafted bow and moves forward into the rain, picking a spot about 10 feet in front of the horses to wait for what ever enemies show up. He too can't see much in the driving rain and darkness.

Kelsis moves right and up about 30' drawing a beed on which ever rhodin scum moves within range first.

Kalythar moves out of his cover under the eaves of the wagon as well, drawing his bow. He concentrates for a moment, remembering the words that were taught to him. When he opens his eyes, the targets further away seem easier to see, as if his eye is being drawn towards them as surely as his arrow will be.

Another bolt of lightning flashes illuminated the rushing Rhodin. This time they are much closer (moved up 60'). Korwin lets his arrow fly, as does Kelsis. Both arrows miss their targets, the rain and distinct lack of light make shotting even 30' away difficult.

Aadin remains near the wagon, preparing himself for battle. He drops the spear on the ground and draws a rune on it. The rune briefly flashes a pale yellowy-orange light as the magic is wielded in it's raw written form.

Gren and Rinaldo both move out from the cover of the wagon to the left. Gren draws an arrow and fires it at the Rhodin standing only about 40 or 50 feet away. He too misses, cursing the rain. Rinaldo stays close ready to attack together with Gren when the Rhodin approach closer.

(ooc: Gren is on NPC for now. Kelsis is on the right side of the wagons so I assumed she would want to move out away from them to fire at the Rhodin. If not please let me know. I will have the updated map later today.)

GladiusNP

First Post
Aadin Lofgred, 3rd Level Human Runethane

Aadin lifts his hands again, and moves them in a wide, circular motion. Around his head, small sigils flash into being, and seems to form lines between each other. The net of magical energy spins down toward the glowing spear, which suddenly quivers into life, springing from the turf. The sizzle of rain striking hot steel is faintly audible, and Aadin suddenly gesticulates towards the nearest brigand.

Aadin is casting Animate Weapon on his Fire-Rune of Afflicted Spear, and sending it after the nearest Rhodin. It attacks at his base attack bonus, and moves at his speed.

Remove ads