• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[AU] Siege on Ebonring Keep

Rybaer

First Post
The unmistakable sound of creaking wooden wheels breaks through the morning silence. Jingling of harnesses soon follows and then the first of a group of wagons crests the nearest hill. Traveling the road toward Lothis, this caravan appears to be comprised of about eight wagons, each pulled by four work horses. The wagon drivers all appear to have crossbows within easy reach. Two other men, armed with bows and swords, march just ahead of the lead wagon on foot. The guards and wagon drivers are all men, about an even mix of human and sibbecai.

As the caravan becomes aware of your group and the scene of the fight, they slow briefly. The sibbecai driving the lead wagon calls back to the others to "press on!"

When the caravan reaches to within about sixty feet, the lead sibbecai calls a halt. He is dressed a bit better than the others and wears an ornate leather jack. His fur has started to gray in spots but he still has the physique of a warrior.

The sibbecai calls out. "Hail travelers! A bit of rough business this morning? If I had to wager, I'd say that a group of bandits picked the wrong fight." He barks a laugh at this. "I don't pity them one bit.

"And," he continues, "if I were to make further guesses, I'd call you adventurers answering the call from the Ebonring Keep. Am I correct?"

rangerjohn

Explorer
Rybaer said:
The unmistakable sound of creaking wooden wheels breaks through the morning silence. Jingling of harnesses soon follows and then the first of a group of wagons crests the nearest hill. Traveling the road toward Lothis, this caravan appears to be comprised of about eight wagons, each pulled by four work horses. The wagon drivers all appear to have crossbows within easy reach. Two other men, armed with bows and swords, march just ahead of the lead wagon on foot. The guards and wagon drivers are all men, about an even mix of human and sibbecai.

As the caravan becomes aware of your group and the scene of the fight, they slow briefly. The sibbecai driving the lead wagon calls back to the others to "press on!"

When the caravan reaches to within about sixty feet, the lead sibbecai calls a halt. He is dressed a bit better than the others and wears an ornate leather jack. His fur has started to gray in spots but he still has the physique of a warrior.

The sibbecai calls out. "Hail travelers! A bit of rough business this morning? If I had to wager, I'd say that a group of bandits picked the wrong fight." He barks a laugh at this. "I don't pity them one bit.

"And," he continues, "if I were to make further guesses, I'd call you adventurers answering the call from the Ebonring Keep. Am I correct?"

"And I would say you are most astute" Danwyn replies. "Any news of the road ahead?" His hand near his sword, just in case things are not as they appear.

Rybaer

First Post
rangerjohn said:
"And I would say you are most astute" Danwyn replies. "Any news of the road ahead?" His hand near his sword, just in case things are not as they appear.

"Well, as a frequent conveyor of goods across this stretch of road, let me offer my thanks for your service in dealing with these vermin," the older sibbecai says.

"I'm Fithizer the Gazer, the wagon-master," he says and gives you all a short nod by way of introduction. "There is little to tell of the road ahead. We've not been bothered on this journey, and after your handiwork we hopefully will finish the trip in the same fashion.

"If you're on your way to the Keep, you might catch up with another man on his way there. Human by the name of Osric - an archer of some skill. He was guarding my caravan until he heard of the call for adventurers from the Keep. We parted ways about two hours ago at the Grumblewood...where the road to the Keep splits off."

garyh

First Post
"Is there anything else you can tell us of this Osric?" Pirythanis asked. "It would seem he's someone oyu trusted, at least, if he was a guard for you."

Mirth

Explorer
Ys-Baddaden looks the older sibbecai over while waiting for an answer to Pirythanis' question. After the answer is given, the giant replies, "Thank you for your information, Fithizer. May your journey be peaceful and short. We will carry your good word with us when we meet this Osric. Now we really must be moving on."

Rybaer

First Post
garyh said:
"Is there anything else you can tell us of this Osric?" Pirythanis asked. "It would seem he's someone oyu trusted, at least, if he was a guard for you."

"Hmmm," Fithizer ponders. "He's a pretty sharp lad. Said something about an interest in religions. Don't really know too much more."

Mirth said:
Ys-Baddaden looks the older sibbecai over while waiting for an answer to Pirythanis' question. After the answer is given, the giant replies, "Thank you for your information, Fithizer. May your journey be peaceful and short. We will carry your good word with us when we meet this Osric. Now we really must be moving on."

Fithizer hops off his wagon and rummages under a canvas in the back. He extracts two sealed jugs, each about a quart in size. "Please," he says, "take these as a token of appreciation for helping keep the roads clear of vermin. Boisenberry wine, from the Hupter's own winery. Some of the finer wine made in the region."

He hands the jugs over to whomever will take them and then returns to his wagon. "Farewell to you and safe travels." He calls out to the other wagons and the caravan moves off to the northeast toward Lothis.

[ooc - XP for the encounter = 140 each]

After the caravan rolls off behind the next hill, you gather up your gear, dropped weapons, and loot.

A few hours later, just before noon, the Grumblewood Roadhouse comes into view. It is settled in a shallow valley alongside a small stream. Trees are in slightly greater abundance here. The roadhouse itself is a collection of small buildings within a crude stone and wood walled yard. A large garden outside the wall is tended by two women. The sound of chopping wood and other chores comes from within the walls.

As you approach the roadhouse, you notice a man sitting with his back against the fence near the entrance. He appears to be in his mid or late 20's with black hair and wearing a scaly hide armor. Propped up against the fence beside him is a longbow and a full backpack.

[ooc - cue Osric]

Last edited:

Galbraith

First Post
eeech! This is a motley assortment headed towards me! ...but... they appear to carry themselves well, like they know how to handle the weapons they carry. They may be heading in the same direction - Fithizer said this was a good place to meet up with someone and by gosh if he wasn't right!

Standing up and stretching a bit I step towards the road, warm smile on my face.

"Hello! Welcome to the Grumblewood Roadhouse. I'm Osric."

Liminal Syzygy

Community Supporter
"Greetings Osric! Fithizer the Gazer told us we might make your acquaintance. He said you were a scholar of religions. Is this true?"

Last edited:

rangerjohn

Explorer
Cordo said:
"Greetings Osric! Fithizer the Gazer told us we might make your acquaintance. He said you were a scholar of religions. Is this true?"

"More to the point, he says you have more than passing familarity with the bow." Danwyn continues glancing at the longbow at Osric's side.

Remove ads