Avatar Legends: The Roleplaying Game Kickstarter is live!

The Kickstarter for Magpie Games' Avatar: Legends RPG has launched and is hurtling towards $1M in its opening hours. Set in the world of Avatar: The Last Airbender, and The Legend of Korra, this tabletop roleplaying game includes a free quickstart which you can download today.

Update — it hit $1M in the first few hours, making it the fastest ever TTRPG Kickstarter to do so.

Update -- after less than two days, it has made over $2.3M, already making it the biggest TTRPG Kickstarter ever (with nearly a month yet to go!)

9981ccd83ca099727cc5c12299cc7d7a_original.jpg

Avatar Legends: The RPG is a heroic fantasy game set in the universe of Avatar: The Last Airbender and The Legend of Korra in which you and your friends take on the role of young heroes from across the Four Nations who have joined together to make the world a better place. It’s a game for people of all ages who want to look at the world beyond the scope of the existing stories and explore the meaningful actions heroes take for the good of others.

Last edited by a moderator:

Aldarc

Legend
I will definitely be curious how the fact that this is a non-D&D game plays out at the table for backers who may or may not have experience with either (1) TTRPGs or (2) non-D&D TTRPGs.

I kinda hope that this Kickstarter becomes a huge gateway drug to the wider world of non-D&D TTRPGs.

Campbell

Relaxed Intensity
Based on the Quickstart it seems to line up pretty well with scene framed Powered by the Apocalypse games like Masks and Monsterhearts albeit with more of a focus on the physical action than those games have. It reminds me a bit of Apocalypse Keys in that it seems to want characters being emotive while doing other things.

One distinguishing feature is that it does have a combat system with defined antagonists.

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
It looks like they're done posting new stretch goals, too. (Which is a good thing...they had so many of them that I was starting to worry about fulfillment.)

I pledged at the Otter Penguin level ($75) so I'm getting:
  • Core Rulebook
  • Core Playbook
  • Dice pack (12 custom dice)
  • Four Nations cloth map
  • 54-card Combat Action Deck
  • Dice bag
  • Pack of 5 journal booklets
  • Adventure Booklet: Earth & Root
  • Adventure Booklet: Fire & Brimstone
  • Adventure Booklet: Ash & Steel
  • Adventure Booklet: Air & Wind
  • Adventure Booklet: Water & Mist
  • Extended Play booklet
  • And PDFs of everything
I mean, $75 isn't cheap but that's still a pretty awesome deal.

Last edited:

overgeeked

B/X Known World
I will definitely be curious how the fact that this is a non-D&D game plays out at the table for backers who may or may not have experience with either (1) TTRPGs or (2) non-D&D TTRPGs.

I kinda hope that this Kickstarter becomes a huge gateway drug to the wider world of non-D&D TTRPGs.
In my experience, it’s gamers who have a hard time figuring out PBTA games not non-gamers. Fresh-faced newbs have a far easier time grokking the system as they don’t have years baggage to unlearn first.

In my experience, it’s gamers who have a hard time figuring out PBTA games not non-gamers. Fresh-faced newbs have a far easier time grokking the system as they don’t have years baggage to unlearn first.
I agree with overgeeked, from what I've been seeing and reading, brand new players who have never even heard of a TTRPG before are finding their feet really fast with PbtA system (or at least Magpie's interpretation of it). It's the people coming from D&D and other "trad" RPGs that are having trouble adjusting.

Aldarc

Legend
I agree with overgeeked, from what I've been seeing and reading, brand new players who have never even heard of a TTRPG before are finding their feet really fast with PbtA system (or at least Magpie's interpretation of it). It's the people coming from D&D and other "trad" RPGs that are having trouble adjusting.
My partner, who has next to no experience with TTRPGs, had a WAY EASIER time with Dungeon World than they did with 5e D&D.

It will still be interesting how people with various levels of knowledge with PbtA games find this game precisely because it is not the 800 lb. gorilla in the TTRPG market. I will be curious what lasting impact, if any, this TTRPG has for our hobby.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
My partner, who has next to no experience with TTRPGs, had a WAY EASIER time with Dungeon World than they did with 5e D&D.

It will still be interesting how people with various levels of knowledge with PbtA games find this game precisely because it is not the 800 lb. gorilla in the TTRPG market. I will be curious what lasting impact, if any, this TTRPG has for our hobby.
While I don't expect Avatar Legends to dethrone D&D, it's looking quite like a 500 lb. gorilla at the moment.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
So an update on the Kickstarter, it passed $4 million overnight ($4.08 million now) and will likely double Colville's $2.1 million Kickstarter before the day's out.

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases