Avenger's Infinity War *Spoiler* Discussion

Istbor

Dances with Gnolls
“The past century”. Also known as 0.05% of the lifespan of humanity.
Permanent settlements, aka cities, have only existed for maybe 8% of humanity’s time on Earth.

Humanity survives, the culture does not. We’re spread out enough now that no one disaster will doom all of humanity, but our foolishness has killed numerous civilizations in the past.

I can think of a few disasters on their own that could still wipe out Humanity. Don't count our extinction out just yet.

You’re kidding right? There’s a reason the world is supporting ten times the population now than it had even a century or two ago.

Adaptation and innovation.

I’m not saying that famine isn’t a thing. It certainly is. But our ability to sustain population has increased to unimaginable levels in the past century.

What “moving on” have you seen in the past century?

There is however a fear that we might run out of our capability to sustain our innovation fast enough, and that we will run out resources. In the real world, it happened mostly in isolated places, but Earth is kinda an isolated place as well, unless we innovate to find a way to expand our resource consumption beyond Earth (which doesn't neccessarily mean colonization, depending on what we need.)

Anyway, all that is reality and speculative. In the fictional world of the Marvel Cinematic Universe, the world Titan apparenty did face a resource crisis and they weren't able to innovate beyond it, ending with their species destruction.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I liked it more than Thor, and a lot more than Ultron, but less than the first Avengers film.

Hussar

Legend
Just saw it yesterday. A very good movie. Not just a good "superhero" movie, but, a good movie all the way around. Thanos was fantastic.

It will be very interesting to see how they go forward.

My son watched it a second time the other day. He made an observation I thought was note worthy. Comic book followers are "WoW!" while people whom don't know / understand the comic it is based on are outraged. Outraged that heroes died. Outraged the Villain "won".

Anyone else see this in the theaters?

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
It's a Part 1. At the end of any part 1, regardless of genre, the villain will have won or at least be in a really, really good strategic position.

At the end of Star Wars the Death Star is destroyed - how is that a really good strategic position for the Empire?

People go to see complete movies, with a clear beginning - middle - end point - bridge to sequel. Infinity War didnt do that, we are left at the middle point and now have to wait a year for the resolution.

what the Marvel Movie machine has achieved is a way to churn out movies so quickly that it mimics a TV series, using MArvel TV, Trailers and other movies to maintain the interest despite the time lags.

Last edited:

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
At the end of Star Wars the Death Star is destroyed - how is that a really good strategic position for the Empire?

People go to see complete movies, with a clear beginning - middle - end point - bridge to sequel. Infinity War didnt do that, we are left at the middle point and now have to wait a year for the resolution.

Empire Strikes Back did that too. I think there’s room for long form storytelling in the movies.

Remove ads