Back to the 80s

Greg K

Legend
I am not sure what I would run. Possibilities include
  • Stranger Things inspired
    • system: Stranger Stuff (Fat Goblin Games for Tinyd6)
  • Ghostbusters (either a franchise or something based off the cartoon)
    • system: Ghostbusters (if one has access), Awfully Cheerful Engine (by EN Publishing when it is released), Spooktakular (Yaruki Zero), or Hauntaway (for OneDice)
  • V (something set during the mini-series or original series)
    • system: Savage Worlds, Cortex Plus, or Retrostar
  • Baywatch
    • system: Beach Patrol (Gallant Knight Games for Tinyd6)
  • Miami Vice
    • system: Magnum Vice: Fury Force (Gallant Knight Games for Tinyd6) or Vice Squad: Miami NIghts (by Precis Intermedia).
      • Another option, is C. Michael Hall's Urban Knights with the Into the 80's supplement (although, I have not seen either)
  • 80's Action movie (e.g. Schwarzenneger, Stallone, Segal, Van Damme, Eddie Murphy),
    • possible systems: Badass (Stargazer Games), Magnum Fury (Lakeside Games), Savage Worlds,
    • probably d20 Modern w/ Blood and Fists for Segal or Van Damme inspired
    • not sure what I would use for something set in Red Dawn movie setting, the Golden Child, or Big Trouble in Little China- probably I would just go with Savage Worlds or d20 Modern
  • John Hughes high school inspired (e.g. Breakfast Club, Some Kind of Wonderful, Weird Science)
    • system: Hughesville HIgh (Lakeside Games) or School Daze (Exploding Rogue)
  • A slasher movie one shot (possible inspirations Friday the 13th, Nightmare on Elm Street, Prom Night)
    • system: Slasher Flick (Spectrum Games)

Last edited:

For some Vampire fun:

Esau Cairn

Explorer
Has anybody actually seen American Pop? I don't think I ever heard of that movie until 5 years or so ago.

More than a few times, yes. Saw it in the theater when it came out. Despite being 1981, I think it's the best use of rotoscoping in film history. In my opinion, it suffers from having it's conclusion be too quick and too tidy. The journey is better than the destination.

ccs

41st lv DM
Inspiration depends on what amuses your players. If they want complex interaction, then it has to be inspired by Soap Operas like "Dynasty", "Dallas", and their rivals. On the other hand, if they want ACTION, you can't go far wrong with "The A Team", "Starsky & Hutch" or "Charlie's Angels" (and let's not forget "Knight Rider" or "Magnum PI").
Not to be picky, but Starsky & Angels are both 70s shows (well, ok, Angels ended in '81). So yeah

GreyLord

Legend
Has anybody actually seen American Pop? I don't think I ever heard of that movie until 5 years or so ago.
Decades ago. It came out on HBO a while after it came out in theaters and I think I saw it there. If I recall, I wasn't very enamored of it so didn't pay that close of attention, but I saw it...on TV.

Marc_C

Solitary Role Playing
I’m actually thinking about an 80s campaign myself. I’m in the early stages, so I haven’t figured out precisely what shape it will take, yet. Miami Vice elements are probably going to be strong, though. Because I’m me, I’d probably use HERO, but something like Spirit of 77 or Spycraft could also work.

But the one thing I’ve decided is that the visual aesthetic of Patrick Nagel (and lesser artists) will be made concrete in the form of the presence of humanoids from another dimension. IOW, there will be a species of impossibly charismatic beings with ivory skin and ink-black hair with a taste for bold color combinations and neon- Nagel & others who paint them are being photorealistic.

View attachment 137505
I'm old enough to have tried to look like that and had my first appartement living room painted with these same colours. 🙃

Remove ads