• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Back to the Future: OD&D or BFRPG?

Hairfoot

First Post
Right. I've had enough of ruminating over the pros and cons of 4E. I'm going to run an old-school adventure for the group before we decide what system we want for our game.

It's come down to a choice between Basic OD&D or Basic Fantasy RPG, but I can't decide.

Here's the breakdown as I see it:

OD&D
Pro: genuine old-school cachet; get to use dog-eared books I bought with pocket money in primary school; really, really simple rules.

Con: perhaps too simple - demihumans as classes, no set system for resolving skills etc; notoriously deadly and therefore a bit unfun.

BFRPG
Pro: easy-to-use D20-ised rules; free to download; race/class flexibility; generic action resolution rules; thief skills not hopeless.

Con: requires some tweaking for balance; potentially overrun with optional rules and variants; elf illustration looks like Hugo Weaving gone Mardi Gras.

BFRPG still looks like the winner to me, but I'd like to hear from the OD&Ders how they resolve some of the hassles the system presents.

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
I play both games. OD&D clearly wins out for me when I need the tactical element that Chainmail + Supplement 1 combat provides. If tactical elements are of less concern, I prefer BFRPG both because it's more recognizeable as being what people consider "RPGs" to be today (thus making it more accessible to new-ish players) and because it relies less on DM fiat to interpret the rules (which players seem to be more comfortable with, IME).

Last edited:

Hairfoot

First Post
jdrakeh said:
OD&D clearly wins out for me is when I need the tactical element that Chainmail + Supplement 1 combat provides.
Can you expand on that? I like tactical play and figurines, but I haven't seen anything in OD&D which supports it better than BFRPG. Is Chainmail significantly different?

Hairfoot said:
Can you expand on that? I like tactical play and figurines, but I haven't seen anything in OD&D which supports it better than BFRPG. Is Chainmail significantly different?
Chainmail's man-to-man combat system (using multiple d6s) is significantly different from the "alternate" system (using a d20) that became the familiar D&D combat system. It uses modifiers for individual weapons, as well. However, even using the "alternate" combat system with Chainmail as a guideline offers a lot of tactical options.

Here's an OD&D combat sequence derived from Chainmail (and Swords & Spells). Note that it allows for traditional D&D rules on ROF for missiles, spell interruption, et cetera. It's also strongly miniatures-oriented. If you want even more detail, you can add the Supplement I rules for space required, weapon vs. armor class, et cetera.

T. Foster distilled the above combat sequence down into a simpler form for those who don't want all the detail; it retains the essence of the system.

Last edited:

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
Hairfoot said:

PJ illuminated the issue better than I could have :heh:

Regarding skills in OD&D:

There's a thread on the OD&D forums that offers some ideas.

Also, from the initial post, it sounds like "Basic OD&D" means either the Moldvay/Cook/Marsh boxed sets or the Mentzer boxed sets, rather than OD&D[1974]. In that case, RFisher's Classic D&D site should prove useful. My own site might offer some useful tidbits, too, but it is aimed squarely at OD&D[1974], rather than Classic D&D (and I'm not a big fan of skill systems in OD&D).

Last edited:

Hairfoot

First Post
Philotomy Jurament said:
Also, from the initial post, it sounds like "Basic OD&D" means either the Moldvay/Cook/Marsh boxed sets or the Mentzer boxed sets, rather than OD&D[1974].
Yep. I'm a member of the credit-cardless underclass, so I can't get my hands on a copy, though I'd like to. Thanks for the tips.

Sorry for the tangent but I couldn't resist....

When I saw the title I thought this would be a time travel speculation thread about "what would happen if you tried to introduce >insert modern RPG here< to the world in 1973?"

Or, with a Hitchhicker's Guide twist, "If you could travel to 1972-3 and hand EGG a copy of his LJ game, what would happen to RPGs today?"

Ironically, I think neither intrusion on the time stream does much of anything since gamers of 1972 have no frame of reference for RPGs as we know them. OD&D is an extension of wargaming and RPGs have moved away from those roots for the most part.

Hairfoot

First Post
Delta said:
Actually, not so in OD&D. That popped up as a simplification in BXMI.
How does it work? I thought you can't play something like a hobbit thief or dwarf cleric in OD&D.

Also, can anyone direct to a webpage which describes the differences between 1E editions (B/X, BECMI, Holmes, Moldvay, Mentzer etc.)?

Remove ads