• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Back to the Future: OD&D or BFRPG?

Henry

Autoexreginated
Hairfoot said:
How does it work? I thought you can't play something like a hobbit thief or dwarf cleric in OD&D.

Also, can anyone direct to a webpage which describes the differences between 1E editions (B/X, BECMI, Holmes, Moldvay, Mentzer etc.)?

I recommend any and every gamer with an interest in such things the following:

http://www.rpgnow.com/product_info.php?products_id=28306&it=1

It's all of 6 bucks, and is an immersion into the very roots of the hobby.

In a nutshell:

--four races (humans, dwarves, elves, and hobbits)
--three classes (cleric, fighting man, and magic-user)
--no spells over 6th level
--everybody got d6's for hit points
--NO MAGIC MISSILE!

There are lots of other differences, but that's a few of the highlights.

Delta

First Post
Hairfoot said:
How does it work? I thought you can't play something like a hobbit thief or dwarf cleric in OD&D.

In the original white box set, elves are multiclass fighter/wizards, with XP split each adventure between the two classes. At that point dwarves & halflings are restricted to the fighter class. There are no thieves.

Supplement I introduces thieves and some more details. Dwarves & halflings can be fighters and/or thieves. Elves can be fighters, wizards, and/or thieves. Dwarves & elves can also be multiclassed clerics, but restricted to NPCs only.

Hairfoot said:
Also, can anyone direct to a webpage which describes the differences between 1E editions (B/X, BECMI, Holmes, Moldvay, Mentzer etc.)?
Well, those aren't really 1E editions. Here's my breakdown:

OD&D (Original Dungeons & Dragons) (OD&D)
The three little/brown books original published in 1974. Woodgrain or White Box.
Also Supplements I through IV.

Holmes Basic
The "blue book" basic set.
This edition is unique; it's not exactly OD&D, but not exactly AD&D, and not exactly Classic D&D -- it has fingers in all those pies.

Moldvay/Cook/Marsh (Classic D&D)
Also called B/X. This is the edition that really defined "Classic D&D" as its own thing, separate from OD&D[1974] and AD&D. Basic and Expert boxed sets. Erol Otus covers.

Mentzer (Classic D&D)
Also called BECMI. This makes some very minor changes to the Basic and Expert rules published in B/X, and expands the system with the Companion, Masters, and Immortals sets. Elmore cover art. The Rules Cyclopedia compiles most of these rules into a single hardcover book. I think later editions of Classic D&D were also based on the Mentzer rules (e.g. "black box" D&D).

AD&D (1E)
The original hardback MM, PH, DMG, Deities & Demigods, et cetera. Some people put Unearthed Arcana and the later books (DSG, WGS, etc.) into a "1.5 edition" category.

For detailed lists of the differences, I'd suggest searching/reading some of the discussions on Dragonsfoot.

BFRPG has an optional rule based on a roll-high ability check; there's a table with PC level and a target number based on PC level. The roll is modified by difficulty, the PC's ability bonus, and by circumstantial bonuses or penalties.

It's not significantly different from other ability-check systems; however, it does take PC level into account.

Hairfoot

First Post
Philotomy Jurament said:
BFRPG has an optional rule based on a roll-high ability check...

It's not significantly different from other ability-check systems; however, it does take PC level into account.
In fact, it's almost identical to the 4E skill system, minus the bonuses for trained skills. If it's good enough for 4E in 2008, it can't be too bad.

Philotomy Jurament said:
Well, those aren't really 1E editions. Here's my breakdown:
This is pure semantics, but surely AD&D is 2E, and the classic sets are 1E? Otherwise we go from 1E to 3E with no 2E.

Hairfoot said:
This is pure semantics, but surely AD&D is 2E, and the classic sets are 1E? Otherwise we go from 1E to 3E with no 2E.

Although it may indeed be a question of semantics, PJ correctly refers to established nomenclature that is agreed on and used by the vast majority of the roleplaying community, including its authors.

It's just the established code many use so we know what we're talking about, as counter-intuitive as it may seem. :heh:

Jack Daniel

dice-universe.blogspot.com
Hairfoot said:

No. 3e is the 3rd edition of AD&D. It bears no relation to the Classic D&D line, which another branch of the family.

It goes

Code:
Original D&D (1974-76)
      |
      |
Basic D&D (1977-80)
   |    \
   |     \
   |     AD&D 1e (1977-87) 
   |        |     
B/X D&D     |
(1981-82)   |
   |        |
   |        |
BECMI D&D   |
(1983-90)   |
   |     AD&D 2e (1989-99)
   |          |
Classic D&D   |
(1991-94)     |
              |
        [A]D&D 3e (2000-2007)
              |
              |
        [A]D&D 4e (2008)

Jack Daniel

dice-universe.blogspot.com
dragonlordofpoondari said:
Many would argue that the fork rejoins at 3rd Edition.

I wouldn't. :p

Besides, WotC came right out in the open and said back in 2000 that AD&D 3e wouldn't be called AD&D because the "Advanced" scared away potential new players. The title changed for 3e as a marketing gimmick, not because 3e bears any direct relationship of descent to the Basic/Classic game. (Seriously, the games are just so different that it's laughable to think that 3e took anything from BECMI or the Rules Cyclopedia.) Classic D&D pretty much came to an end in 1994, after the Thunder Rift module series and the revision of the Black Box basic set (TSR 1106).

Last edited:

Remove ads