• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Backing up the CB Classic

Nikosandros

Golden Procrastinator
I have a copy of CB "classic" installed on my two laptops. If at some future time should I need to re-install the OS, would it be possible to back up the program with its data and install it again?

Lord Ernie

First Post
Let me put it this way: given that WotC has taken down the service that would update the database of your old CB, there is no legitimate way to update an out-of-date installation of the old CB.

Nikosandros

Golden Procrastinator
Let me put it this way: given that WotC has taken down the service that would update the database of your old CB, there is no legitimate way to update an out-of-date installation of the old CB.
I don't want to update, I want to maintain what I already legitimately downloaded. Two very different things.

avin

First Post
I don't think there's a "legal" way of reinstalling and update it to the last version... which is a shame.

My groups are probably ignore essentials and DS. At least my DS books have some fluff, cause crunch will be useless...

Lord Ernie

First Post
I don't want to update, I want to maintain what I already legitimately downloaded. Two very different things.
I realize that.

What I was trying to allude to, without actually promoting it, is that there may be less legitimate ways to gain access to that data, whether or not you acquired legitimate access to it. I don't know for sure if these ways exist, or where you find them, but since WotC points the finger at piracy as a big reason for their shift from the old CB to the web-based one, it's likely the data is out there somewhere.

Nikosandros

Golden Procrastinator
I realize that.

What I was trying to allude to, without actually promoting it, is that there may be less legitimate ways to gain access to that data, whether or not you acquired legitimate access to it. I don't know for sure if these ways exist, or where you find them, but since WotC points the finger at piracy as a big reason for their shift from the old CB to the web-based one, it's likely the data is out there somewhere.
OK, I see what you mean... :)

I'm aware that there are "other" options, but I was wondering if there was a different way. I guess that my question was actually a more general question about the possibility of backing up an installed application, which probably isn't normally possible.

Lord Ernie

First Post
OK, I see what you mean... :)

I'm aware that there are "other" options, but I was wondering if there was a different way. I guess that my question was actually a more general question about the possibility of backing up an installed application, which probably isn't normally possible.
Not normally, no. I'm only familiar with programs that create ghost images of your complete installation (like Norton Ghost). They make reinstalling a snap, and do restore your installed programs, but they also copy the rest of your installation. They are usually used on an installation in a relatively pristine state.

But there might be other tools out there. If I have time later today, I might take a look myself - it's an issue I've run into several times, myself.

Remove ads