Backswords and Bucklers - now the OSR has my attention!

Norse

First Post
Hi Shaman, glad you like the game! It happens to be mine :)

We firmly believe that the OSR can be about more than just revisiting old games, we see it as an opportunity to start again from the beginning and see where we end up!

That sounds like a really good campaign idea there. Sounds like you could mix it with elements from Swords & Wizardry (spells and things) to make it an even more epic game. Eventually we will be releasing the supplement for sea travel and exploring various New Worlds. The idea behind it is to help people create really New Worlds, instead of just rediscovering real ones. Anyhow, it might be out by the time you run your campaign and it might be of assistance.

Eventually we want to put something up for material made by other people, so if you get anything written up feel free to send it our way. And I'd love to see the outcome of your campaign!

The Shaman

First Post
Hi Shaman, glad you like the game! It happens to be mine :)
Well-done! Can't wait to see more of the supplements released.

I've been an admirer of Maelstrom for awhile, but I wasn't comfortable with the system. After being reintroduced to OD&D a few years ago, B&B captures much of what I like about Maelstrom - strong period flavor, subtle magic - with the simplicity of Ye Olde Game.

I'm not someone who's a fantasy fan generally, but this works for me, and as I noted in my original post, this is a game I would gladly teach my kids.
That sounds like a really good campaign idea there. Sounds like you could mix it with elements from Swords & Wizardry (spells and things) to make it an even more epic game.
If North America is really Avalon, then S&W or OD&D would provide a means of statting up the sorceress-descendents of Morgan le Fay and her sisters as well as monsters such as wendigos (evil faeries) and other spirit creatures.
Eventually we will be releasing the supplement for sea travel and exploring various New Worlds.
Can't have Elizabethans without the Sea Dogs, with or without magic.
And I'd love to see the outcome of your campaign!
I'll keep you posted - thanks for the interest.

Remove ads