Bad Movies You Liked

Ath-kethin

Elder Thing
The Schwartzenegger Conan films are both glorious IMO and Destroyer is my 5yo's inspiration for everything - from D&D characters to LEGO stories to this year's Halloween costume.

DragonSlayer is a master class in how NOT to write a film climax.

The David Lynch Dune is a bit ponderous but the visuals are astounding and Kyle MacLachlan remains the only actor to have played Paul Atreides properly IMO. And the film's depiction of Alia is just perfect. I named my cat after her.

Off-genre: I absolutely adored the film SpiceWorld and it's a much smarter film than most give it credit for.

Last edited:

Blackrat

He Who Lurks Beyond The Veil
I seem to be stuck on echoing already mentioned movies.

Labyrinth definitely. I loved this, but I’m so damned young that I didn’t know it flopped 😂 It was my childhood favourite.

I also liked John Carter. It did rather good attempting to adapt the franchise to ”easy digest” level for average viewer.

Red Sonja and Masters of the Universe were both on the list of movies I watched dozens of times as a kid/teenager.

One that I can’t agree with earlier posts though. I do not like the Lynch’s Dune. It is a poor attempt at an impossible to adapt book. I liked the miniseries enough to enjoy it, but it too failed on my book...

BookBarbarian

Expert Long Rester
It's events hew closer to the book but the kid playing Paul was so horribly miscast it really drowned out the rest of the film for me. I really think Lynch hit the spirit of the book better overall.

What? The whole end monologue is about how Maud’dib will bring peace...except in the book it's a known universal spanning jihad that cost 6 billion lives.

Ryujin

Legend
It's events hew closer to the book but the kid playing Paul was so horribly miscast it really drowned out the rest of the film for me. I really think Lynch hit the spirit of the book better overall.

I felt that Lynch missed the basic gut feel of the book horribly. The shortcut of making Baron Harkonnen physically objectionable to make the audience immediately dislike him was crass. "Weirding modules"? Seriously? The mini series hit the mark far better but this is still a property that's begging for a remake, and that's something I almost never say.

BookBarbarian

Expert Long Rester
I felt that Lynch missed the basic gut feel of the book horribly. The shortcut of making Baron Harkonnen physically objectionable to make the audience immediately dislike him was crass. "Weirding modules"? Seriously? The mini series hit the mark far better but this is still a property that's begging for a remake, and that's something I almost never say.
I think the Lynch film had a better budget and cast. The mini series stayed closer to the books, but I have little else good to say about it.

At least the sequel had James McAvoy in it.

Edit: I also like the Soundtrack of the film even if it is sheer 80s ridiculousness. Probably because of that actually.

For being band that had never done a soundtrack before (or since), Toto's Dune soundtrack is pretty awesome.

As for the movie, I like it. It does rely overly much on narration in a few instances. I haven't seen the Extended/Smithee cut in ages, though.

A recent bad movie I enjoyed was the Taron Egerton Robin Hood. Between its completely anachronistic design and over-the-top feats, it sure felt like a D&D game turned into a movie (minus magic and monsters).

Edit: I also like the Soundtrack of the film even if it is sheer 80s ridiculousness. Probably because of that actually.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases