D&D 5E Balance at high levels - and a possible house rule

Politely, might I suggest this is an old modality. It is the same tune that has been whistled from the games inception.

One’s class is not the same as one’s character.

A Cha(Persuasion) check against a Sibrex in Descent/Avernus is given a DC of 15, for 9th level adventurers, to learn critical information.
The Persuasion check is much more likely to succeed, then a casting of Detect Thoughts.

The game allows that sometimes being skilled, (that using a skill), is better suited, to achieve a more optimal result than magic.
Exactly. The skill proficiencies that casters tend to be supported in generally retain their usefulness well at high levels.
The skill proficiencies that the game supports the fighter using, like Athletics, tend to have spells that can easily replace the need for a check.

In my limited experience, wizards don't vastly overshadow fighters at high levels because of money.

In our high level game, the high level casters were always tight on money. Every single casting seemed to be preceeded by a discussion of "how much diamond dust do we have?" or "Can we afford this?"

A level 20 fighter hasn't really had anything to spend money on, so they can convert all their treasure to potions, scrolls, items, weapons, hirelings, etc. The level 20 wizard might spend hundreds to thousands of gold pieces for each cast of a high level spell. They haven't had the same disposable income that the fighter has had. I suspect a lot of white room tests ignore this.
I think that your experience may not be the same as everyone's. Assuming that items, scrolls, weapons useful for the high-tier adventurer are available to buy is not something that stands up for a lot of games.
In addition, a lot of the groups I have experience with tend to have a party pool to pay for for things like diamond dust and similar components needed for spells cast for the good of the party.

S'mon

Legend
Bringing in a full level 20 Wizard to my E20 Runelords game has certainly made a big difference, just the ability to scout & transport is greatly enhanced. I don't think the Barbarian will ever feel irrelevant, though!

S'mon

Legend

You can see a ton of high level 5e in the logs of my Runelords online sessions. My experience is that all classes conribute well in combat, but the group definitely suffered from not having a full-progression arcane caster until now. The Druid is very durable with infinite wildshape, and lots of travel powers (wind walk, transport via plants, air elemental form) but doesn't put out much damage. The Paladin can put out a lot of damage but is squishy (AC 20!) even with a Fast Heal 20 Epic Boon. The Barbarian is a great tank.

S'mon

Legend
Don't know. Maybe it isn't a problem, as @TwoSix says, in 5E, which I haven't played at high levels. Just a passing idea I had in a spare moment at work.

I think it's much less disruptive to go the 1e/2e route and (a) make items hard to craft but easy to find, and (b) make martial items BETTER than caster items - even a Staff of the Magi paled before a 1e Vorpal Sword!

So eg in my Runelords game, Quillax the Druid has a super-powerful artifact the Timeglass that gives her Foresight 24 hrs/day, but Claw the Barbarian has Garvok Sword of Wrath, which currently does 3d6+25+5d6 fire on a hit, and crits do 14d6 Fireballs too. :D

Remove ads