D&D 5E Balance Inquiry Arcane Archer Modification

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
My original premise is that this new ability they get should be so easy and ubiquitous that we dont need to track uses per day, or rest, because then you are tracking this new stuff AND tracking the class special shots etc.

So the end result needs to be: usable at will? But not overpowering to the point that negates the other class abilities.

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
...and at the expense of additional attacks at higher levels. It's fine IMO. It's a buff for acid splash and shocking grasp, but that's countered by the incompatibility with multiple attacks....
My rule so far says "one cantrip arrow per turn, doesnt saw anything about negating multiple attacks, why do you think it does, or why do you think it SHOULD?

At multiple attack levels it would be one cantrip arrow, one normal arrow?

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
... So maybe a fire arrow does 2d8 and sets things on fire. That could scale with level too, so at higher level an AA get to elementalize all his shots for the round in question.

I did consider for a while, using the spell flame Arrows as the base for the idea.

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
My rule so far says "one cantrip arrow per turn, doesnt saw anything about negating multiple attacks, why do you think it does, or why do you think it SHOULD?

At multiple attack levels it would be one cantrip arrow, one normal arrow?
Because cantrips aren't melee attacks and instead scale with level either via damage or multiple bolts, and do so roughly in parallel to extra attacks. If the AA equivalent didn't scale with level that would be different. Which version were you thinking of?

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
Because cantrips aren't melee attacks and instead scale with level either via damage or multiple bolts, and do so roughly in parallel to extra attacks. If the AA equivalent didn't scale with level that would be different. Which version were you thinking of?

I did want them to scale with level, and be ranged attacks that replaced the arrow damage. So my thought was, no more no less OP than wizard cantrip spam.

Adding the multi-attack into the equation, it seemed "okay" to have one arrow of the turn be a cantrip arrow, any/all others would be normal arrows.

Let me go look at how they list those trick shots in the official AA subclass, because cantrip arrows (as we are calling them) seem about same or lower power than the arcane shots the archer gets (except the scaleing, as you say, ...hmmm

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
@Fenris-77 , the Arcane Shots from the class are once per turn, so when using them you could fire other arrows if you had multi-attack.

I guess the question arises, are cantrip arrows more or less powerful than the Arcane Shots.

They definitely need to be less powerful, since I dont want to have to track uses, and have the archer have them from the beginning of the subclass.

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
Hmm, maybe another way to go is to take a look at a good scaling mechanic for the existing shots? Plus maybe add a little variety? IDK, spitballing here.

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
One shot cantrips are essentially the same as arrows but with added damage type and maybe a light rider, I can't see that being an issue if it's just one shot. You should also definitely be able to trick shot the cantrips too.

Remove ads