D&D 5E Balance Inquiry Arcane Archer Modification

G

Guest 6801328

It would be cool to pair that with a knock back attack that could could trigger it. I know that's not normally how it works, but it paints a good picture.

I don't know...it's already waaaaaay better as a ranged attack. "Go ahead...run up and hit me with your sword. I $%#$ing DARE you."

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
I don't know...it's already waaaaaay better as a ranged attack. "Go ahead...run up and hit me with your sword. I $%#$ing DARE you."
In fairness, the AA could use some nice things too. I do love it as a ranged attack though. Yum. I wouldn't be heartbroken without the knockback, it just seems cool.

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
I homebrewed an arcane archer by refluffing the Gunsmith UA Artificer's archetype.

lvl 3: Magebow: Craft a magical longbow that can be loaded as a a bonus action with a magic projectile deal 2d6 magical piercing damage.
- As an action, the attack deals +1d6 thunder on a hit, increasing by 1d6 every odd levels after that.

lvl 7: Arcane barrage: As an action, you can make a special attack with the bow. Rather than making an attack roll, you unleash force energy in a 15-foot cone from the bow. Each creature in that area must make a Strength saving throw with a DC of 8 + your proficiency bonus + your Intelligence modifier. On a failed saving throw, a target takes 2d6 force damage and is pushed 10 feet away from you. This damage increases by 1d6 when you reach certain levels in this class: 13th level (3d6) and 17th level (4d6).

lvl 10: Seeking shot:, ala A.A Curving shot

lvl 15: Piercing arrow: As an action, you can make a special attack with the bow. Rather than making an attack roll, you cause the bow to unleash a bolt of lightning, 5-feet wide and 30-feet long. Each creature in that area must make Dexterity saving throws with a DC of 8 + your proficiency bonus + your Intelligence modifier. On a failed saving throw, a target takes 4d6 lightning damage. This damage increases to 6d6 when you reach 19th level in this class.

lvl 18: Exploding arrow: As an action, you can make a special attack with the bow. Rather than making an attack roll, you launch an explosive arrow from the bow. The round detonates in a 30-foot radius sphere at a point within range. Each creature in that area must make a Dexterity saving throw with a DC of 8 + your proficiency bonus + your Intelligence modifier. On a failed saving throw, a target takes 4d8 fire damage.

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
I think the elemental shot would nice. To be honest there's only a few creatures with elemental vulnerabilities to exploit, and the ability to target an element that isnt resisted by the creature is not that powerful, since most spellcasters can already to that with their lvl 1 cantrip selection.
Yeah, target an element that is NOT resisted seems to be more key.

1590420420858.png

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
That table is somewhat tilted due to the sheer number of types of X that share vulnerabilities. Not that it isn't broadly accurate, but I think it oversells some of the numbers. If your campaign doesn't really feature demons, the table looks a lot different, for example.

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
I am also noticing that on average, the "cantrip arrows" would do more damage than most of the Arcane Shots at higher levels, and the arcane shots should be the focus of the class.

Leaning towards being conservative, and using elemental arrows as described in the OP, making Arcane Shots Int mod per short/long rest, and adding more trick shots based on cantrips.

Maybe allow knowledge of one more Arcane shot option than the book says.

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
The Playtest version (which might be a while, as all the characters in the campaign atm seem to have extraordinary survival luck. :unsure: :LOL:

1590423731573.png

Might let them change the type of damage from flame arrows to either fire, lightning, cold, or poison to mirror their elemental arrow ability.

Remove ads