D&D 5E Baldur’s Gate: Descent in to Avernus Table of Contents

The table of contents of Baldur’s Gate: Descent in to Avernus as well as the first two pages have appeared on the Amazon page!

The table of contents of Baldur’s Gate: Descent in to Avernus as well as the first two pages have appeared on the Amazon page!

avernus1.jpg

avernus2.jpg

Hmm. Six new stat blocks, possibly seven depending on whether Zariel's stats are the same here as is MTOF, but no additional Archdevil stat blocks. Bel was originally defined as a Pit Fiend, and I'd expect he has lost the power boost that drawing off of Zariel gave him, so presumably standard Pit Fiend stats could represent him (I hope he appears in the adventure as he was a former Lord of the Nine and might be again, perhaps, if Zariel leaves. If he doesn't wind up in charge again, I'm at a loss as to who it'll be.) Somewhat disappointed that there are no new Archdevil stats but writing an adventure where they could all be used would be a challenge. The new material covering Avernus will be useful as - let's face it - that's about as far as most adventurers are going to get into the Nine Hells... nice touch that they mentioned Gargoth, the "lost Lord of the Nine" in Forgotten Realms material... maybe HE takes over? Also, there are a lot of outcast Devils on the First Layer, and the PCs might encounter them (many are quite interesting) if the DM wants to include them. Not necessarily in this specific adventure, but at some point, given all the material provided about Avernus - why only have the PCs visit once? Not everything I was hoping for, but certainly sounds worth the purchase.
Bel's in the adventure we have a picture of him.

w1fd4dJ.jpg

Presumably he will use Pit Fiend Stats with some modifications. (Using a Longsword instead of a mace, Better AC from his armor, having his angel head belt.)

As expected there is an entire chapter Gazeteer on Baldur’s Gate.

I wonder if it's going to be the same info, word for word and art for art, that was in Murder in Baldurs Gate?

Got to admit it. I wasnt interested at first but after seeing this I might have to pick it up. Especially if we have new info and maps for Bladurs Gate.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I wonder if it's going to be the same info, word for word and art for art, that was in Murder in Baldurs Gate?

Got to admit it. I wasnt interested at first but after seeing this I might have to pick it up. Especially if we have new info and maps for Bladurs Gate.

Almost certainly not at all, since Murder in Baldur's Gate is set in the 14th century DR, focused on the video game characters who are mostly gone by the late 15th century.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I was talking about the "Next" adventure. It have a paperback book that went into detail about Baldurs Gate. It was system agnostic, had stats for 3e, 4e and Next.

Sorry, I meant that book, too: it had 5E stats, but it is still a different era of history: probably meant to tie into the AP, for fans of the game, but not repeating the AP setting material.

Sorry, I meant that book, too: it had 5E stats, but it is still a different era of history: probably meant to tie into the AP, for fans of the game, but not repeating the AP setting material.

Ah, it has been a while since I've read it. I just assumed it took place during the 4e era. Either way it had some good lore on Bladurs Gate. I'm excited to read what they have in this book. BG is one of my favorite cities in FR.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Ah, it has been a while since I've read it. I just assumed it took place during the 4e era. Either way it had some good lore on Bladurs Gate. I'm excited to read what they have in this book. BG is one of my favorite cities in FR.

Humorously enough, it is set between the 2E and 3E era, by the main writer of the BG video games who is now a WotC employee. At the time it seemed suspiciously random, but it was now pretty clearly made to allow people who haven't followed FR lore for 20 years but picked up the Adventure because they loved the video games.

Remove ads

Remove ads