D&D 5E Baldur's Gate 3 AMA

Never got into Elder Scrolls. Haven’t played Skyrim.
I think Skyrim took a more conventional approach to dialogue. I haven't played ES much myself - I've always found them lacking in characterisation.
I prefer to read myself. Can PC voices be turned off in these modern games?
You can usually turn on subtitles then hit a "skip" button once you have read them to go to the next line of dialogue, but you can't turn the VO off, no. Characters tend to have an awful lot to say for themselves (not to mention actions: [walks to bookshelf, takes book of shelf and flicks through it]), even if it amounts to "Yes, I'll save the princess from the tower".

Last edited:

MarkB

Legend
I think Skyrim took a more conventional approach to dialogue. I haven't played ES much myself - I've always found them lacking in characterisation.
Most Bethesda RPGs have had largely silent protagonists. Fallout 4 (which came out some time after Skyrim) was controversial for featuring a voiced protagonist.

JiffyPopTart

Bree-Yark
Why do you think that is?

Even though it isn't my preferred playstyle I think I understand why people like it when the DM picks treasure to place in D&D.

For a videogame to have the same and specific treasure though seems like a missed opportunity to have varied challenges.
Way back in the day when playing Pool of Radiance, when you killed 6 kobolds you knew you were going to find 6 shortswords, 6 sets of leather, 6 bucklers, and some pocket change. The treasure made sense for the creatures carrying it.

In modern videogame design you kill a giant wolf and find a magic crossbow.

I'll stick with the seeded treasures with some randomization for things like crates and barrels and similar.

Remove ads