• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D General Baldur's Gate 3 will now be releasing August 3rd on PC and September 6th on PS5, increased level cap, race & class details and more

I don't think Undermountain would be my choice either. I don't think the BG3 engine is well suited to dungeon crawling. Solasta does that kind of thing better.

Terrible, terrible idea, hope they don't do that.

The Undermountain represents everything that BG3 isn't - i.e. a huge-ass dungeon where most things exist effectively as "islands", disconnected from everywhere else.

If they do more DLC in future, I sincerely hope they stick to what they're good at, which is creating interesting, interconnected scenarios and characters with strong underlying stories to them, not just combat/trap/puzzle-heavy dungeon crawl trash.

They obvious would put there own spin on it, like maybe Halaster disappears and the inhabits of Undermountain struggle for control or Waterdeep invades undermountain.

And Undermountain has tons of interesting characters in it, its just that they could have done a better job weaving them together between lairs and with Waterdeep Dragon Heist.

Honestly I've wanted a combined and tweeked Waterdeep adventure that merges Waterdeep Dragonheist, Waterdeep Undermountain, and Yawning Portal, but add in an element that better connects all of it.

I don't think Undermountain would be my choice either. I don't think the BG3 engine is well suited to dungeon crawling. Solasta does that kind of thing better.

Solasta doesn't have rights to Undermountain, although I can see a fan project converting it perhaps.

But there is more to Undermountain then just a Dungeon Crawl, its not like you just go down and slaughter everyting, there are stories, and characters and tribes and towns down their, and a ton of social interactions and ethical dilemmas, and its meant IMHO to be mixed with Waterdeep Dragonheist and Tales of the Yawning Portal. It just needed a better metaplot linking all of it together.

Honestly the combo is my favourite 5e adventure and IMHO the one where I feel iike the most value for money. But for BG3 you get rid of the teleportation blocking so no one has to trudge to get from a level back to Waterdeep, and insert a metaplot to it all.

Yes Undermountain is a Megadungeon, but its not a Dungeon Crawl. Too many social encourages, exploration, and politics going on, its just missing a metaplot.

Burnside

Space Jam Confirmed
Supporter
Undermountain wouldn't be my first choice, not do I think, on paper, that it plays to Larian's strengths. But I'm sure they'd do a good job with it. Nor would I characterize the WotC 5E version as "dungeon crawl trash". In some ways, it's a brilliant book and imo more coherent than Waterdeep: Dragon Heist.

Having said that, I can find zero real sources that actually suggest that they are considering an Undermountain DLC, nor do I think there is anything in the EA game that suggests it, nor do I think most fans would want them to do it. Sure, Undermountain, Waterdeep, and the Yawning Portal get mentioned, but so do Rasheman, Thay, Phandalin, Cormyr, and lots of other FR things, because the game is set in Faerun.

I do know that Larian, several years ago, in-house, did a non-public adaptation of Lost Mine of Phandelver which they presented as a proof of concept to WotC when they were trying to get the license, and WotC gave them a "not yet" at that time.

I'd love to see them use other classic FR locations for future games, but I would rather they develop their own stories rather than adapt existing adventures. If they DO decide to adapt existing ones, there are options I think would suit them better than Undermountain does. But I would still LOVE it if they did do Undermountain.

Undermountain wouldn't be my first choice, not do I think, on paper, that it plays to Larian's strengths. But I'm sure they'd do a good job with it. Nor would I characterize the WotC 5E version as "dungeon crawl trash". In some ways, it's a brilliant book and imo more coherent than Waterdeep: Dragon Heist.

Having said that, I can find zero real sources that actually suggest that they are considering an Undermountain DLC, nor do I think there is anything in the EA game that suggests it, nor do I think most fans would want them to do it. Sure, Undermountain, Waterdeep, and the Yawning Portal get mentioned, but so do Rasheman, Thay, Phandalin, Cormyr, and lots of other FR things, because the game is set in Faerun.

I do know that Larian, several years ago, in-house, did a non-public adaptation of Lost Mine of Phandelver which they presented as a proof of concept to WotC when they were trying to get the license, and WotC gave them a "not yet" at that time.

I'd love to see them use other classic FR locations for future games, but I would rather they develop their own stories rather than adapt existing adventures. If they DO decide to adapt existing ones, there are options I think would suit them better than Undermountain does. But I would still LOVE it if they did do Undermountain.

Serveral of the Origin Characters bring Undermountain up I've been told.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads