Baldur's Gate Designer Leaves Bioware To Form D&D Publishing Company

James Ohlen was one of the architects of the 1990s' Baldur's Gate and Baldur's Gate II video games, along with other classic CRPGs. He has been working for BioWare for over 22 years, but now he's leaving to publish D&D adventures with his new company, Arcanum Worlds and their first hardcover sourcebook, the Ancient Greek themed Odyssey of the Dragonlords.

James Ohlen was one of the architects of the 1990s' Baldur's Gate and Baldur's Gate II video games, along with other classic CRPGs. He has been working for BioWare for over 22 years, but now he's leaving to publish D&D adventures with his new company, Arcanum Worlds and their first hardcover sourcebook, the Ancient Greek themed Odyssey of the Dragonlords.

PlayersGuidePreview.png

He's not alone, either. He's joined by Jesse Sky (Star Wars: The Old Republic). Their website announced their first project, "... a hardcover sourcebook for the fifth edition of the world's greatest roleplaying game. This epic adventure is set in a fantasy world inspired by Ancient Greek mythology."

Ohlen announced this new venture in a series of tweets.

"After 22 years I have retired from BioWare. I've loved my time with Anthem, Star Wars, Dragon Age and Dungeons and Dragons. But I need to take a break from the industry and work on something a little smaller and more personal.. The most fun I've ever had at BioWare was as the lead designer on Baldur's Gate 1+2 and NWN. I've been a D&D fanatic since I was 10 years old and I want to be a part of it again. Please visit http://www.arcanumworlds.com to see what I'm talking about.

The first book I'm working on is called Odyssey of the Dragonlords. I'm working on it with another former Creative Director from BioWare - Jesse Sky. Plus a mystery writer that I've worked with before."

Game Informer says that BioWare's founders, Ray Muzyka and Greg Zeschuk, originally heard of Ohlen when he was running a comic book store and running two legendary D&D campaigns so popular that they had waiting lists.

Ohlen's credits include Neverwinter Nights, Dragon Age: Origins, Baldur's Gate I & II, Knights of the Old Republic, and Star Wars: The Old Republic. Jesse Sky worked on Star Wars: The Old Republic, along with threeexpansions.

And who's this mystery writer? They say "We're excited to be working with one of our good friends, a very talented author who lives here in Austin, TX. Stay tuned - we will be announcing his name at a later date!"
[FONT=&quot]Save[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Save[/FONT]

He may see the writing on the wall regarding Bioware, which as mentioned above REALLY hasn't been the same since EA bought them. If Anthem winds up crashing and burning (and what I've seen of it does NOT look promising), it's pretty much the end for them.

I do really hope the pronouncements of BioWare's doom are premature, though. I'll be exceedingly unhappy if we don't get a solid Dragon Age 4. :(

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I actually really want to move.

Not because of the city itself; I love the city. I just can't handle this climate anymore. I would kill to move to the PNW.

I used to live in Austin. I also used to live in Tacoma. Lots of good to say about both.

But Austin has less mildew and fewer volcanoes.

ddaley

Explorer
...because?

Because I love kickstarters... and, this would probably generate a lot of interest. I am sure they would raise a lot of money, which would help support the production of it.

UPDATE: also, because I feel the need to throw money at them now....

Last edited by a moderator:

Remove ads

Remove ads