WotC Baldur's Gate III Announced; Powered by D&D 5E

The developers of the Divinity: Original Sin series, Laria Studios, officially announced Baldur’s Gate III.
The new game will use the D&D 5th Edition rules as the backbone for their system and the storyline will be set directly after the events in the upcoming adventure Baldur’s Gate: Descent into Avernus. The game will be released on PC and the new Google Stadia video game streaming service. The announcement came with a teaser trailer below. More information is expected at the video game and electronics conference E3 next week.

The game isn't quite available for pre-order, but you can add it to your wishlist on Steam. The Steam listing also gives some idea of the features and gameplay options, as it lists Single Player, Multi-Player, Online Multiplayer, Local Multiplayer, Co-Op, Online Co-Op, Local Co-Op, Shared/Split Screen, and Cross-Platform Multiplayer.

The announcement follows a tease last week with an image of the stylized "III" which left the title of the game as part of the filename.

Warning: The trailer features some gruesome imagery which may not be suitable for all audiences and is definitely NSFW.

[video=youtube;OcP0WdH7rTs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OcP0WdH7rTs[/video]​

Last edited by a moderator:

Darryl Mott

Darryl Mott

CapnZapp

Legend
Why do people persist in setting themselves up to be disappointed? You would think they would have learned by now.

Better to keep expectations modest, then you have a chance of being pleasantly surprised if they are exceeded.
You have a point.

Still, expecting full PHB support isn't mindless fangushing or idealistic naivete.

Assuming we are really talking 5E rules (and not "5E rules") I don't see how they could have negotiated themselves out of supporting the full PHB.

The only real alternative would be to support the Basic SRD only and that's so limited I would expect them to already at launch commit to a "PHB expansion".

N.B. Optional content (requiring DM buy-in) like Drow or Wild Mage Sorcerers are OTOH fair game for exclusion. Obviously I can also see them skipping pets (familiars, companions, summoned animals) for gameplay reasons.

CapnZapp

Legend
Waterdeep and Undermountain are not nearby locations by any stretch of imagination so don't hold your hopes up.
Yes. I see no reason for them to encroach upon other content like that. There are plenty opportunities closer to the Baldur's Gate city that allows them to carve out their own playground.

If they ever revisit other content, it feels much much more likely they will sail to Chult than add Waterdeep or Neverwinter, each of which is an established property in itself that would threaten to overshadow BG.

CapnZapp

Legend
It's a streaming service, where the game actually runs on computers in the google cloud and your computer only has to display a video stream and transmit your inputs. This means that it can run on pretty much any reasonably modern computer. The downside is that there will inevitably be some network latency in the controls, but that's mostly a problem with fast paced games, it shouldn't be an issue with a CRPG like Baldur's Gate 3.
Yes. Everyone is all doom and gloom when it comes to Stadia, but that is not our concern

CapnZapp

Legend
It's basicly the Netflix of video games.
Except offering cloud gaming is very different than show streaming.

But if you by "basically" mean you subscribe to a service over the Internet, then yes.

Then Stadia is basically the EN World of video games, assuming you're a community supporter.

CapnZapp

Legend
Future streaming can kiss my butt.

Power outages, data caps....

I understand and see the signs....I am not enthused.
That is likely because you're not a content owner.

The notion of being able to rent out content again without having to sell it or otherwise transfer any rights, so you can charge a fee each and every time said content is accessed, and withdraw it at any time for any reason, is a corporate wet dream!

CapnZapp

Legend
* I don't expect (or feel a particularly strong desire for) any races or classes that aren't in the core rulebook - bottom line is gotta keep something back for the DLC.
I don't see that either. Hoping for non-core character build options in the basic offering is... unwise in my opinion.

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases