• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Baleful Polymorph

Hecatæus

First Post
Larry Ciderpot: "Ah can doo this one aisey! Afterall why woulda high level Slaad Caster magically trap 'is underwear dra[zap] :eek: CockaDoodleDOOO!" (A: they are Chaotic, so why not)

Basically, my halfling standard thief/mage 10/1 failed both saves required for Baleful Polymorph and is now an 'ordinary' rooster.

I found the rules on this last moment happenstance a tad confusing.

What exactly is supposed to happen to him, his stuff, his stats and abilities?

In what ways can he be partially or fully restored?
Lary Ciderpot, Halfling male
Align: CG
Str: 9 Dex: 19 Con: 10 Int: 10* Wis: 6 Cha 11
(We are assuming that the Raven from MM1 3.5 would be a close approximation to a rooster for purposes of stat changes.) Apart from the lack of Rooster stats in the MM1, the problem is in that Baleful Polymorph only Int, Wis, and Cha are said to change...with no direct mention of of the other stats. But at first it says at "As Polymorph , " ie the same spell for all other questions; which says only st, dex and con stats change to that of the animal's.

This sounds odd, no?

What exactly are the steps I need to take to figure the stats and other characteristics of Lary the Now-Strangely-Wiser Death Dealing Rooster?

Thanks

Hecatæus

First Post
Camarath said:
You can use Dispel Magic to end the spell.
let's assume for the sake of argument, that due to house rules and extreme paranoia by much wiser party elements, that Dispel Magic is not immediately available.

My best guess so far is that Larry is now an ordinary rooster that can back'stab', sense traps, but can't use evasion, and otherwise follows the 'hens' around (other party members)...and leaves chicken poop and feathers all over.

Suppose Awaken is used before Dispel Magic is used? Do I go to being Larry the Rooster...or an ordianry Awakened Rooster

Hecatæus

First Post
I should add that being a 1st lvl wizzy, Larry had a Hedgehog Familiar 'Betsy', and another custom campaign 'partial parasite' calleda Scathi [it sucks blood almost like a vampire, but pull it's leg and it gives lots of damage absorbtion for a short while]. What happens to them? ...same as equipment?

Camarath

Pale Master Tarrasque
Hecatæus said:
I should add that being a 1st lvl wizzy, Larry had a Hedgehog Familiar 'Betsy', and another custom campaign 'partial parasite' calleda Scathi [it sucks blood almost like a vampire, but pull it's leg and it gives lots of damage absorbtion for a short while]. What happens to them? ...same as equipment?
You would retain you Familiar since that is a non-spell casting class feature. And assume that the parasite counts as a separate but attached creature it would not be affected by the spell and would I think be able to fucntion normally (but I would as you DM about that since it is a house rule).

Camarath

Pale Master Tarrasque
Hecatæus said:
let's assume for the sake of argument, that due to house rules and extreme paranoia by much wiser party elements, that Dispel Magic is not immediately available.
Well there is Break Enchantment, higher magic, or suicide.
Hecatæus said:
My best guess so far is that Larry is now an ordinary rooster that can back'stab', sense traps, but can't use evasion, and otherwise follows the 'hens' around (other party members)...and leaves chicken poop and feathers all over.
That sound about right to me.
Hecatæus said:
Suppose Awaken is used before Dispel Magic is used? Do I go to being Larry the Rooster...or an ordianry Awakened Rooster
I believe that you would be an ordianry Awakened Rooster with Larry's personality.

Camarath

Pale Master Tarrasque
Hecatæus said:
What exactly is supposed to happen to him, his stuff, his stats and abilities?
His stuff will remain worn or held by the new form (if it is capable of wearing or holding the item), or it will meld into the new form and become nonfunctional. He will lose all extraordinary, supernatural, and spell-like abilities, and lose his ability to cast spells. He will gain the alignment (N), special abilities (-), physical qualities (1 Claws attack, Flight 40ft(average), and land speed 10ft), ablitiy scores (1, Dex 15, Con 10, Int 2, Wis 14, Cha 6), and size (tiny [with reach 0ft]) of the Rooster (Raven).

Remove ads