Level Up (A5E) Barbarians without "reckless attack"

The part about sacrificing a shield to negate the extra effect surprised me, just because I had interpreted it already as the effect goes through without the extra damage. I only read it that way because the Furious Critical feature says when you score a critical hit, and sacrificing a shield says when you take a critical hit you can use your reaction to turn the critical hit into a normal hit. I read that as the critical hit is already "scored" and even taken by the defender, so Furious Critical takes effect, then the reaction is used to turn the normal critical bonus into a normal hit.
that's vague enough that i think if it were the intent they would've just spelled out that furious critical takes effect even if the critical hit is turned into a normal hit

Steampunkette

Rules Tinkerer and Freelance Writer
Supporter
See, I read it the opposite way.

Critical hit still triggers Furious Critical, but the extra damage of the crit itself (including Vicious weapon damage) gets negated if the reaction is used to sacrifice the shield.

And the idea that "they would've just spelled it out" isn't really all that accurate. The person who wrote up the Berserker and the person who designed Shields as crit-negators may have done so weeks or months apart in the overall design process.

Fortunately, this is the kind of forum where the designers, themselves, can directly answer questions! We just have to hope Morrus or one of the others in charge or connected to the project points their eyes here.

Stalker0

Legend
I think part of the issue is the 5e barbarian is one of the best class designs in the game (at least for the sweet spot of the first 8 levels), especially the totem warrior. It just fits the flavor and playstyle to a T. I've had players who were like "eh doesn't seem that interesting" but then the second they play it they are hooping, hollaring, and diving into danger like a crazy person, having the best time. It is astounding to watch how the mechanics immediately reinforce the barbarian flavor so beautifully, that people's roleplay is instantly improved.

I didn't envy LU's work here, its hard to improve something that I think was so solid to begin with.

Sepulchre

Explorer
A berserker can have a 17-20 crit range at level 5 pretty easily, so a berserker should be getting crits more than an O5e barbarian.

Zealous stance helps a lot with accuracy and stacks with advantage. And there are maneuvers and crit effects that help generate advantage, so the berserker can and should often be rolling twice.

And don’t forget that the feat Powerful Attacker got buffed (disadvantage is strictly less punishing than -5 to hit), plus it’s extra damage is now doubled on a critical hit, which is easier to get if you can make a straight roll.

Berserkers are machines in A5e.

Remove ads