D&D 5E Bard exists, now make YOUR Bard. (+)

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
A Trickster Cleric with the Criminal background and a lute is all the "bard" I think I'll ever need.

In all seriousness, the last bard I played was named Kor. He was a Mountain Dwarf, had the Guild Artisan background (he worked at a forge), and was a heavy metal enthusiast in every sense of the word. When he dressed for battle, he put on his spiked armor and face paint and adopted a whole new persona, like a member of GWAR.

Last edited:

Laurefindel

Legend
I love bards and rangers, but they are the classes that can be the most easily recreated with a background and a cleric, or a druid, or a rogue, or a fighter, or a wizard, or a warlock… actually, I don’t think there is single class that cannot be done to recreate a decent bard or ranger.

Some might use this argument to say that bards and rangers shouldn’t exist as distinct classes, butI disagree. Even with the classes as they are now, I find them very relevant because ironically, the bard class is very good to do many non-bard concepts (less so with the ranger though), but ´bard’ and ´ranger’ are nonetheless easy to recreate otherwise.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
A Trickster Cleric with the Criminal background and a lute is all the "bard" I think I'll ever need.

In all seriousness, the last bard I played was named Kor. He was a Mountain Dwarf, had the Guild Artisan background (he worked at a forge), and was a heavy metal enthusiast in every sense of the word. When he dressed for battle, he put on his spiked armor and face paint and adopted a whole new persona, like a member of GWAR.
The last time I played a bard was.... I can't remember, but I'm pretty sure @Snarf Zagyg and I played bards together.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
My ideal bard has no singing involved at all. I can't standing the singing/instrument angle. The bard I would make would be purely a loremaster/story teller type, with abilities and spells along those lines.

I'd prefer bard to cut promos on dragons and vampires to lower their morale.

"You know they say that all elves are created equal, but you look at my Fighter and you look at Strahd von Zarovich and you can see that statement is not true. See, normally if you go one on one with another fighter, you got a 50/50 chance of winning. But Grunk a bloodline freak and h's not normal! So you got a 25%, AT BEST, at beat him. Then you add my Warlock to the mix, your chances of winning drastic go down. See the 3 way, at Bavoria, you got a 33 1/3 chance of winning, but He, he got a 66 and 2/3 chance of winning, because the warlock KNOWS he can't beat Grunk and he's not even gonna try! That's why he's in my party.

So Strahd, you take your 33 1/3 chance, minus our 25% chance and you got an 8 1/3 chance of winning at Castle Strahd. But then you take my 75% chance of winning, if we was to go three on one, and then add 66.. 2/3.. per cents, We got 141 2/3 chance of winning at Bavoria. Senior Von the numbers don't lie, and they spell disaster for you at Castle Strahd."

(Strahd now has disadvantage to Wisdom and Charisma saving throws.).

Last edited:

I'd prefer bard to cut promos on dragons and vampires to lower their morale.

"You know they say that all elves are created equal, but you look at my Fighter and you look at Strahd von Zarovich and you can see that statement is not true. See, normally if you go one on one with another fighter, you got a 50/50 chance of winning. But Grunk a bloodline freak and h's not normal! So you got a 25%, AT BEST, at beat him. Then you add my Warlock to the mix, your chances of winning drastic go down. See the 3 way, at Bavoria, you got a 33 1/3 chance of winning, but He, he got a 66 and 2/3 chance of winning, because the warlock KNOWS he can't beat Grunk and he's not even gonna try! That's why he's in my party.

So Strahd, you take your 33 1/3 chance, minus our 25% chance and you got an 8 1/3 chance of winning at Sacrifice. But then you take my 75% chance of winning, if we was to go three on one, and then add 66.. 2/3.. per cents, We got 141 2/3 chance of winning at Bavoria. Senior Von the numbers don't lie, and they spell disaster for you at Castle Strahd."

(Strahd now has disadvantage to Wisdom and Charisma saving throws.).
strahd lookin at the bard like
strahd.jpg

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
I can very much see that.

I'd like all casters to have a largely unique shtick and spell list. I'd also give divination to clerics.
Could be very fun for a unique setting. Bards get enchantment.. Clerics get divination. Wizards get evocation. Warlocks get conjuration. Druids get alteration. Sorcerers get necromancy. Paladins have abjuration.

Each can pick one other school to have along with their specialty.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
Could be very fun for a unique setting. Bards get enchantment.. Clerics get divination. Wizards get evocation. Warlocks get conjuration. Druids get alteration. Sorcerers get necromancy. Paladins have abjuration.

Each can pick one other school to have along with their specialty.
I'd do
Abjuration- Paladin
Conjuration- Druid
Divination- Ranger (they are the detectives)
Enchantment- Bard
Evocation- Warlock
Illusion- Sorcerer
Necromancy- Cleric (if heals are necromancy)
Transmutation- Wizard

Remove ads