Bardic Music

Theo R Cwithin

I cast "Baconstorm!"
Maybe use an ability check to keep it up, like holding one's breath or other such taxing activities.

For example, make the bard make an escalating CON check every minute, +1 every check: so DC 10, then DC12, then DC14... The DC decreases by -1 for every 10 minutes of resting not playing music, and is completely reset with a night's rest.

If he ever fails a check, his voice if gone for the day: no more music, no spells with verbal components, no witty banter, etc. He regains his voice the next day.

Also, I assume the others in the party are suffering penalties to their Listening checks...?

Aluvial

Explorer
That's just silly. No singer could sing all day, no musician could play all day. Their fingers would be sore and bleeding.

Rather than put a limit on it, I'd just start imposing penalties for long-duration playing/singing. Not to mention the racket is a huge advertisement of the group's presence.
I think this really depends on the situation and common sense must apply. Think of the "oratory" way of delivery. How long did people used to filibuster in Congress? What was the longest? How long are some of the epics? These were passed down from oratory. How long to recite Beowulf?

I think that the Bard in the RAW can preform oratory for quite some time... Ever listen to some Zappa songs or go to a Jam Band like the Dead or Phish? These guys can play guitar for HOURS on end...

Just to give you something else to think about...

In my campaign I make the Bard make ever increasing Concentration checks after the first hour, every 10 minutes... I would have to look it up, but I think I start the DC at 15 and work up by 1 every 10 minutes...

Aluvial

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
Hm. Point.

Does mean that a bard can go for at least an hour though.

An hour does seem reasonable, at least for certain types of performances. Dancing, oratory, singing, woodwinds, and several others...I doubt you could keep it up without stopping for more than 10 minutes, generally. Certainly you'd need some sort of endurance check by then. But comedy, drama, keyboard, etc? Those you could probably keep doing for an hour reliably, if you wanted to. Maybe you're fatigued afterwards.

Starbuck_II

First Post
An hour does seem reasonable, at least for certain types of performances. Dancing, oratory, singing, woodwinds, and several others...I doubt you could keep it up without stopping for more than 10 minutes, generally. Certainly you'd need some sort of endurance check by then. But comedy, drama, keyboard, etc? Those you could probably keep doing for an hour reliably, if you wanted to. Maybe you're fatigued afterwards.

What if it is the song that never ends? Why it goes on and on my friend. Some people started singing it; not knowing what it was. They will go on singing it forever, just because it is the song that doesn't end. Yes, it goes on and on my friend...

Allegro

First Post
Considering most adventuring days are three one minute encounters plus half an hour of exploring in between, a conservative estimate would require a bard to only play for 2 continuous hours on average. Which in my opinion is entirely possible let alone a heroic epic length performance in a world of mystery and magic. Still the style of the play is complete cheese; reduce the listen DC by -5 for creatures to detect the party. The party will face more buffed and prepared opponents. This on aggregate will offset the bardic music advantage.

Another thing to consider is the bard is the natural skill check helper. If the bard is singing she cannot be aiding another skill check. Also throw some helpful clues in tapestries or runes. A quick bardic knowledge check would likely reveal something interesting but that requires at least a round and would interrupt the performance. Some simple swimming or balance checks DC 5 could easily become DC 25 if you want to do them as a free action and keep performing.

Theo R Cwithin

I cast "Baconstorm!"
Maybe limits on bardic music could be achieved with an "annoyance" mechanic, rather than explicitly limiting the bard's performance?

The bard can perform all he wants, but surely it would start to grate on the party's nerves after awhile. Result is that the effect of the bardic music is diminished over time, regardless of how much he plays.

Alternatively, they just kill him and stuff his body in a handy haversack.

Remove ads