Bardic Music

Aluvial

Explorer
Maybe limits on bardic music could be achieved with an "annoyance" mechanic, rather than explicitly limiting the bard's performance?

The bard can perform all he wants, but surely it would start to grate on the party's nerves after awhile. Result is that the effect of the bardic music is diminished over time, regardless of how much he plays.

Alternatively, they just kill him and stuff his body in a handy haversack.
No doubt about a Bard being annoying. And yet envitably, the person who usually chooses to play the bard, also plays guitar... poorly... or comes in once a quarter-year with some new ballad they wrote at home, that being pun-filled at best, or parodies.... ugg... and then, the rules debate with the bard over continuous singing... who must ALWAYS start singing in every single tavern to earn 9 cp and a free meal... ugg... Bards....

I like to give bards odd diseases or parasites... or sore throats... and if they ever try to dance... a BIG giant is always lurking just over the next hill to come and step on him...

"I inspire courage in the party!"

DM: "How? I wait with baited breath...."

"I piroette and begin to dance!"

DM (immediately): "You clearly hear (and feel in your boots) GIANT thumping coming from over the next hill/behind that copse of trees/from the bottom of the lake/from the cloud above...."

Aluvial

Theo R Cwithin

I cast "Baconstorm!"
Originally Posted by the_orc_within
The bard can perform all he wants, but surely it would start to grate on the party's nerves after awhile. Result is that the effect of the bardic music is diminished over time, regardless of how much he plays.

Alternatively, they just kill him and stuff his body in a handy haversack.
No doubt about a Bard being annoying. And yet envitably, the person who usually chooses to play the bard, also plays guitar... poorly... or comes in once a quarter-year with some new ballad they wrote at home, that being pun-filled at best, or parodies.... ugg... and then, the rules debate with the bard over continuous singing... who must ALWAYS start singing in every single tavern to earn 9 cp and a free meal... ugg... Bards....
Ah... so you're suggesting they kill the player and stuff his body in a handy haversack!

Good call! ;)

Remove ads