D&D 5E Barding for War Dogs; 6000gp for Plate Barding???

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
The largest dog I have ever seen/touched was a 210 lbs mastif in good, not great, shape. The owner told me that is father as 220-230lbs, but it had to get down to 185lbs to bread. So just because we have dogs that 200-300lbs doesn't mean that they should or that it is a healthy weight.
Yeah which is why I ended with noting that in worlds where dogs are commonly ridden they would likely be bred for larger size and strength - crossbreeding with dire wolves might help too.

But even a 180kg dog might cope with a halfling (though maybe not armour)

Burker95

First Post
For ruling I don’t know,
I can just imagine a dwarf blacksmith receiving the inquiry and negotiating the price with the party. A must for a funny session!
Dwarves, Elves and Humans are great having the smithing skill. Great for down time to make funds, gear and weapons or armor for the party. I've had this in campaigns since 1st edition back in 1981!! Trading labor and scrap metal and working with the town smithy is fun. We just ended a side campaign and the mages roasted goblins and orc's. Their gear was melted but I salvaged 400 lbs. of iron and steel. Turned it into workable ingots, then barding for a wolf, Breast Plate and a few weapons. Helped the smith train his assistant's and made quite a few items for the smith to sell as well!!

Remove ads