D&D 5E Bards have an identity problem!

Iry

Hero
Bards are probably the best class in the game. They can be almost anything, and accommodate almost any concept. If that gives them an identity problem, it's a damn good problem to have.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
Justify giving the cleric and druid as much magic as the wizard. There aren't much in the way of fantasy portrayals of them as full casters outside RPGs.

druid is just a nature wizard. He’s easy to justify.

cleric is powered by the gods. There’s no reason he can’t match the wizard in magic.

there both are justified.

Mort

Legend
Supporter
There is no burden of anything. But clearly you don’t want to justify. Wonder if it’s cause you can’t?

Bit aggressive no?

I've found the bard both playes well and differently enough from other casters; with nice thematic flavor. As such, I don't believe changing anything is either necessary or desired. Why change something that's working?

FrogReaver

Bards are probably the best class in the game. They can be almost anything, and accommodate almost any concept. If that gives them an identity problem, it's a damn good problem to have.

So let’s set this straight. The complaint isn’t that bards are mechanically bad. As you note they are mechanically great - arguably the best class in 5e in terms of mechanics.

FrogReaver

Bit aggressive no?

I've found the bard both playes well and differently enough from other casters; with nice thematic flavor. As such, I don't believe changing anything is either necessary or desired. Why change something that's working?

If you are going to accuse me of being aggressive then I’m not interested in going further with you on this.

Iry

Hero
So let’s set this straight. The complaint isn’t that bards are mechanically bad. As you note they are mechanically great - arguably the best class in 5e in terms of mechanics.
Yes, Bards are amazing. I do agree they have a problem with identity, but that's a problem born from an abundance of options.

Mort

Legend
Supporter
There is no burden of anything. But clearly you don’t want to justify. Wonder if it’s cause you can’t?

If you don't want to be accused of being aggressive don't say stuff like this. And certainly don't get offended when you get called out, even as mildly as I did.

Also, notice, I answered your question. You didn't answer mine.

Remove ads