• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Base measurement in DDN

DDN's ways of measurement

• 1 yard/meter squares with measurement in yards/meters/squares

Votes: 95 47.7%
  • 5 feet squares with measurement in feet

Votes: 79 39.7%
  • 10 feet squares with measurement in feet

Votes: 6 3.0%
  • 5 feet squares with measurement in squares

Votes: 19 9.5%
  • 10 feet squares with measurement in squares

Votes: 0 0.0%

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
I would prefer meters or yards specifically because their numbers = squares. So there's no calculations required if you decide to move to the grid. If a spell is range 50 feet... you have to do the math to come up with 10 squares (double the number and remove a 0). Whereas the spell would be 10 yards or meters, which then equals the numbers of squares it would be when moving to the grid.

If you have to use 5 feet... then I hope all ranged have the square equivalent right after. Range 50-200 feet (10-40).

the Jester

Legend
Since a medium creature's space is 5', it makes sense to keep the standard measures in feet.

I think a one-yard face/fighting space is too small for anyone wielding a big weapon.

StAlda

Explorer
Since a medium creature's space is 5', it makes sense to keep the standard measures in feet.

I think a one-yard face/fighting space is too small for anyone wielding a big weapon.

But your weapon has to reach into the next space. I own a real katana (read not reproduction, I say that because reprodutions tend to be bigger), my arm and sword can't reach 10 feet - but it can reach 6 feet. A 6 foot 2 handed weapon would have reach (and maybe a penalty for close quarters fighting). This would explain a Bastard sword, you have to choke up on the sword for close quarters.

Last edited:

AeroDm

First Post
I'd like the yard/meter change. I think one of the best results of the change would be that we could stop having ridiculous maps. In order to be functional, a room needs to be large enough to accommodate the combat rules. This means we need to have tiny storage rooms or barracks that are 5x5 or 600+ square feet carved out of bedrock and protecting a goblin and his mud throne.

I can accept a 6' wide hallway, but all these destitute people spending their lives digging absurdly wide corridors need to get outside and life their life! ;)

Prickly

First Post
I live in a metric country.

I have a devil of a time trying to sort out distance in feet.
It also confuses the hell out of my players. Especially new players.

so I vote 1 yard = 1 metre = 1 square.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
I vote the pace. What D&D character is running around with a tape measure, anyway? It's always bothered me that D&D says things like "You enter a 20-foot by 40-foot room." I always think "Wouldn't my character just think of that room as 'a big room'?" Who's measuring?

It's only important if you're using a grid, or if you have someone mapping. In which case, "paces" work great because you could actually have the characters pace it out if they have a cartographer in the party (which is what they'd probably do.)

And it doesn't really matter if the pace is a yard, 5 feet, a metre, or two metres (though I suppose a pace would be better as two steps rather than one, so we don't have sprinters running 100 squares in under 2 rounds or being really slow)

At any rate, I like it.

mlund

First Post
I'd be fine with using the yard and 2-yard squares if we were going from scratch. However, all D&D's legacy materials are on a 5 and 10 ft. square scale. That's what the apostrophe is for, after all.

- Marty Lund

Prickly

First Post
I'd be fine with using the yard and 2-yard squares if we were going from scratch. However, all D&D's legacy materials are on a 5 and 10 ft. square scale. That's what the apostrophe is for, after all.

- Marty Lund

I don't think a past decsion like that should keep us from making improvements.

I don't think anything would explode if those maps in old DnD modules were made to represent a yard instead of 5ft

Szatany

First Post
Distances should be measured in arensons. 1 arenson equals (more or less) to 1 meter, equals to 1 yard, equals to 3 feet.

jadrax

Adventurer
I live in a metric country.

I have a devil of a time trying to sort out distance in feet.
It also confuses the hell out of my players. Especially new players.

so I vote 1 yard = 1 metre = 1 square.

A yard is about a metre, or around 1 stride.
A foot is a third of that, so around a third of a metre.

Note that a 5 foot step is actually quite a considerable distance, you could not really do it as a single step.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads