Which of these is the optimal distance of measurement for your TTRPG enjoyment?

Which of these do you prefer/use?

• Feet

Votes: 36 45.6%
  • Yards (3 feet)

Votes: 14 17.7%
  • Meters (100 centimeters or 39 inches and some change)

Votes: 33 41.8%
  • Cubits (17-19 inches, or as I like to say, 18 inches)

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • Other, please elaborate

Votes: 25 31.6%

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
Which of these is the optimal distance of measurement for your TTRPG enjoyment?

Definitely yards.

When I play, I need my personal space. Don't need other people getting all up in my business so that I can measure your breath stank in cubits. Are you a close talker? Well, I'm sure they appreciate you in Italy.

I do not think it would be a good idea to just add zones to 5e-as-is. You'd need to build the system assuming that's what's in use, and design spells accordingly. So, using burning hands as an example, you don't go "how would I convert a 15 ft cone into zones?". You'd go "OK, this spell creates a directed gout of flames. That sounds like an AOE, and kind of indiscriminate. So maybe all targets except the caster in either the same zone or an adjacent one?"

I could also see a general rule about how if you're trying to avoid friendly fire, you can make an AOE that normally hits a whole zone hit something like 1d6 targets instead. To me, that even seems more "realistic" than using the frozen-in-time grid to maximize damage to the enemies while also avoiding your pals – people do move around in fights, and explosions aren't known for their pinpoint precision.

I also don't think zones and range bands mix very well.

D&D has gone through a variety of abstractions in combat. What's made D&D's system stick for going on 50 years, in my opinion, is that it balances the abstract and concrete in just the right way, for the most part. Perhaps zones would be a step too far towards abstraction, perhaps not. For my part, I think it could be done and work well. Perhaps not as the default, but as optional rules for DMs to use if they so wish.

Like all true fans of the genre, I prefer my distance measured in Kessel Runs.

In general, I prefer using measurements that fit the setting. If it's fantasy or historic, that's Imperial or American customary. If it's sci-fi, then it's metric. If it's contemporary, then either metric or standard.

Really, though, it doesn't matter that much since distances are all relative to each other in TTRPGs.

not-so-newguy

I'm the Straw Man in your argument
I prefer feet and yards.
I like using yards because I can visualize an American football field which helps gives me sense of distance when I say things like "They're 100 yards away"

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Definitely, this. I would love it if OneD&D's DMG has optional rules for using Close/Near/Far.

You can do it now kinda.

I’ve used
Touch (0’)
Melee range (5’)
Reach (10’)
Zone (20’)
Dash/Throw (30’)
Missile Short range (100)
Missile Long (200’)
Sniper (300’)
Mile

I have them as reference but tend to just fudge distance anyway, even with spells

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
I feel like you are not understanding zones, if you think these example spells changed in any noticeable fashion over gridless DnD being played right at this very moment and GM making vibe guesses on how many things any AoE catches.
Gridless (or at least scaled-mapless) D&D - there's the cause of the headache right there.

Thomas Shey

Legend
What definition of "fine" beyond, "the folks at the table consistently have a good time," actually matters?

When assessing how it works, your own? I mean seriously, I'm not required to consider something a good idea just because someone makes it work for them locally. As I've noted, you can pound nails with a wrench, but that doesn't mean its a good use of the tool.

(I also have to not "having a consistently good time" is kind of a big jump here).

Remove ads