D&D (2024) Based upon what we currently know, what degree of "edition update" is 5.5?

What degree of update is 5.5?

• 5.1 - Just cosmetic changes, clarifications, and errata

Votes: 1 1.7%
  • 5.2 - As above, plus a few rules updates

Votes: 6 10.0%
  • 5.3 - As above, plus moderate revisions

Votes: 22 36.7%
  • 5.4 - As above, but more significant rules revisions

Votes: 8 13.3%
  • 5.5 - As above, plus something new and significant

Votes: 19 31.7%
  • 6.0 - A fully new edition with new underlying rules structures

Votes: 4 6.7%

Mercurius

Legend
I think it is clear that it is more than just cosmetic with errata (5.1), and probably more than just rules clarifications and updates (5.2) but far from a totally new edition (6), so what are we looking at? I ask because I'm not doing the playtest and haven't followed the rules discussion closely.

Like many I don't find this sort of numbering useful or edifying. At it's core this is clearly "2nd edition 5e D&D". Putting in software version numbers doesn't really add much to our understanding of that, at least not when D&D has such a history of haphazard use of "edition" numbering for things that were sometimes new editions of existing games and were sometimes sequel games. That said, since you defined your numbers as clearly as is feasible, I'll accept your scale for the purpose of this discussion.

It's really hard to say based on the playtest because it centers on races and backgrounds, the first of which we knew was the thing they were most keen to change, and the latter of which is changed partly to accommodate the first (moving the ASIs from race to background) and partly to bring it in line with how backgrounds are currently being done (feats in place of background features is what they've done for Strixhaven and Spelljammer backgrounds, as well as the Dragonlance UA). They also seemed to want to announce far-reaching mechanics tweaks (the changes to inspiration, crits, and "D20 tests") here at the beginning.

I'd probably rate what we see in this first playtest a 5.3 on your scale, but I won't be shocked if they are more conservative in the changes in future playtest packets, which might bring it down to a 5.2. If there are more far reaching changes they haven't sprung on us yet it might be more like a 5.4 or even 5.5. It would require a radical rethinking of the materials presented so far for it to be 5.1 or 6.

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
I think we'll see the unification of all of the various splatbooks (Xanathar's, Tasha's, Fizban's, Dragonlance, etc.) into a single PHB, along with the errata and a few other things. The goal is to have everything you need in one D&D book, instead of several.

Thus the project's codename, "ONE D&D."

CrashFiend82

Explorer
I chose 5.3 based on your scale but honestly don't think more than 5% of the Playtest we see will survive to 2024. My gut feeling from working with market survey data and doing internal analysis makes me think WOTC knows this to. They threw out a bunch of controversial rules into the survey (Playtest) to increase engagement (a common procedure) but will analyze and attempt to include the few that hit 80% or higher. In the least the 2024 PHB gives them an opportunity to retool the book into a more useful format, better targeted towards new players, which I suspect is their ultimate goal (and a worthwhile venture).

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Like many I don't find this sort of numbering useful or edifying. At it's core this is clearly "2nd edition 5e D&D". Putting in software version numbers doesn't really add much to our understanding of that, at least not when D&D has such a history of haphazard use of "edition" numbering for things that were sometimes new editions of existing games and were sometimes sequel games. That said, since you defined your numbers as clearly as is feasible, I'll accept your scale for the purpose of this discussion.

It's really hard to say based on the playtest because it centers on races and backgrounds, the first of which we knew was the thing they were most keen to change, and the latter of which is changed partly to accommodate the first (moving the ASIs from race to background) and partly to bring it in line with how backgrounds are currently being done (feats in place of background features is what they've done for Strixhaven and Spelljammer backgrounds, as well as the Dragonlance UA). They also seemed to want to announce far-reaching mechanics tweaks (the changes to inspiration, crits, and "D20 tests") here at the beginning.

I'd probably rate what we see in this first playtest a 5.3 on your scale, but I won't be shocked if they are more conservative in the changes in future playtest packets, which might bring it down to a 5.2. If there are more far reaching changes they haven't sprung on us yet it might be more like a 5.4 or even 5.5. It would require a radical rethinking of the materials presented so far for it to be 5.1 or 6.
Yeah, I'd agree with all of this. A new typical edition that shakes things up a but, but not a fundamentally new game. Though I also agree that linking "edition" to only "all new game is ludicrous.

This is the 7th Edition of a core trio of books called the Player's Handbook, Monster Manual, and Dungeon Master's Guide, so at least 7E.

I think we'll see the unification of all of the various splatbooks (Xanathar's, Tasha's, Fizban's, Dragonlance, etc.) into a single PHB, along with the errata and a few other things. The goal is to have everything you need in one D&D book, instead of several.

I doubt that will come to pass. But of all the things WotC could produce, "slightly updated, all-in-one book of players options" would be the one I would most happily buy, and, knowing me, buy multiple copies of.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I doubt that will come to pass. But of all the things WotC could produce, "slightly updated, all-in-one book of players options" would be the one I would most happily buy, and, knowing me, buy multiple copies of.
Well, so far we have the Race and Background chapters being significantly shorter: it's actually quite possible that they could fold all the existing Subclasses into thebPHB, and the rule options and suggestions into the DMG.

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024

Will they add some things, or variants of those things from those books. Yes, and already have.

But the idea is definitely to buy the other books. That is what "compatible" means. Buy Tasha's--with 2024 errata.

Remove ads