• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Basement

BaldHero

First Post
Okay i know im probably going to upset someone by asking this, but i really want to know. I have played games for a while now, and have played in lots of places. Even in the car. But i really hate to play in the basement. It makes me feel like im hiding or maybe ashamed of what im doing. For the last few years ive played at the dining room table in my own home, but i was recently asked to play in a game with old friends,who were huddled around a plywood table, in a damp and moldy basement, overcrowded and poorly illuminated. These are grown men with homes of their own and decent places to play just up the stairs. Of all the places to play a game, a social and quiet game, why the basement? Does anyone else feel immature if they play in the basement? Or secretive or shameful?
or is it just me? Or am i the only person to experience this sort of recurring theme?

Dakkareth

First Post
Old habits die hard. If someone started playing in a basement, he'll probably continue. Also maybe people feel, that they are less likely to disturb others or be disturbed.

And in summer at least it's a little cooler ;)

Zogg

First Post
The basement you describe sounds awful. My ideal gaming location would be in a large room with large windows and nice big trees outside. We'd play on a large table with gaming maps, mini's and comfortable chairs. There would be maps of the regions on the wall and quick reference documents for every player.

I can dream.....

BenBrown

First Post
Zogg said:
The basement you describe sounds awful. My ideal gaming location would be in a large room with large windows and nice big trees outside. We'd play on a large table with gaming maps, mini's and comfortable chairs. There would be maps of the regions on the wall and quick reference documents for every player.

I can dream.....

Heck, is that all you want? That's entirely possible, and not that expensive (apart from the big trees outside, and that depends on location).

We've had most of that at one time or other. We even tried potlucking for a while while most of us were closing on houses/condos.

We play in the living room, sitting on sofas and overstuffed chairs, rolling dice on the coffee table. But maybe that's just us.

Feathercircle

First Post
We usually used the living room or the dining room at my mom's house. At my dad's, we DID use the basement, but it's all modernish and clean and looks like a family room/entertainment center. At my mom's new apartment, we usually end up in my bedroom, on the floor. ^^;;;

Moldering basements DO have their moments, though.... I've found they're good for setting the mood for unpleasantly slimy dungeon crawls.

Dingleberry

First Post
Even though I have a nice big house, we play in the unfinished part of the basement for a number of reasons. One is so my wife doesn't have to listen to us hoot and holler. Another is so I (as DM) can leave everything set up all the time. Another is so we don't have to worry about breaking anything valuable when one of the players gets so angry at his dice that he chucks them across the room. Another is the fridge: while playing at the dining room or kitchen table would be close to the kitchen fridge, the gaming table is only a few steps from the fridge filled with nothing but soda and cheese. The last, but certainly not least, reason is pure nostalgia for the gaming basements of our youth.

In fact, when my wife's job took her out of town for six months, I told the group we could finally start playing upstairs. The response from each and every player was "why the **** would we want to do that?"

Number47

First Post
My idea for a new WOTC ad campaign that I've been thinking about for some time is, “Out of the basement.” It would sorta parallel coming out of the closet. In fact, I call it coming out of the basement when I tell someone I game.

I must say that windows can actually be a problem, especially if you have a squirrel feeder. One player I once had, Sean, we forced to sit with his back to the window so he wouldn't be constantly mesmerized by squirrels.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads