• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Basic Armor Enhancement Total question

glass

(he, him)
3d6 said:
That's assuming you're using the optional epic rules, of course. That's the only place that rules appears. Even if you are using those rules, those guidelines aren't iron-clad. The rules say that "the following are typical characteristics of an epic magic item. In general, an item with even one of these characteristics is an epic magic item."
Well, the Epic rules are really only optional in the sense that you can stop playing before you reach them. They are how levels 21+ work in D&D, if they exist at all.

In any case, if you aren't using the epic rules, then you can't make epic items at all, so that hardly invalidates my point.

glass.

glass

(he, him)
3d6 said:
The staff of power, for example, has a market price of 211,000 gp and doesn't require an epic-level creator.
So it does!

The restriction on items over 200k seems to have disappeared in 3.5, but I could have sworn it was there in 3.0. Was the Staff of Power priced the same in 3.0, or was it cheaper?

glass.

3d6

Explorer
They're also optional in the sense that they appear only in a non-core book and a chapter of the DMG that says "this chapter is composed of alternative rules, concepts, and ways of doing things. So, in this chapter, you won't find variant rules set off in sidebars--the variant rules are actually the meat of the chapter".

Edit: OK, I found my 3.0 DMG, and the staff of power was 200,000 gp. It doesn't look like there are any items in the 3.0 DMG that cost more than 200,000 gp, except for magic weapons, shields, and armor.

Last edited:

Ditch

First Post
frankthedm said:
SUnder does not work on armor, but a bebelith's special ability does damage it.
Actually, the bebelith is exactly what I was thinking about, but decided not to go into excessive detail. Yes, it is called something different: Armor Damage (Ex) or something, but I chose to use the word sunder - the literal definition, not the D&D one. I'm sure if I had said "rend" someone would post that armor can't be rended~ :\

glass said:
That's +2 hardness and +10 hp for each point of real enhancement bonus. Enhancement bonus equivalents for pricing purposes don't count any more than flat prices do.
I guess you could call it real enhancement bonus, but I was refering to how the DMG states the rule. The DMG simply refers to it as "each +1 enhancement bonus". They actually draw the distinction regarding the pricing in the ability description. Nowhere does it call those abilities enhancments, just simply "Price +1 bonus", etc. But I'm sure the OP knew this, which is why I didn't overstate it originally. :p

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads