D&D 5E Basic D&D Campaign

Lyxen

Great Old One
I sort of did for a while a long time ago, because in France it was really hard to get the expert rules. And it was fun, we created multiple characters and got them to lvl 3 (those which survived) and started again, until we could get the expert rules.

Today, honestly, I would not do it again, it's really limited, and I like high fantasy more than the really low levels, in terms of the possibilities of the characters. Level 1-3 in Basic is extremely limited, for me the best levels are usually 5-12 whatever the edition,

Also, most of the revival is focussed around B+X, I think for these reasons as well. Just my preferences, obviously.

Plaguescarred

D&D Playtester for WoTC since 2012
Yes i talk about the 5E Basic rules. As DM I did a mini campaign for my daughters using the Basic rules but i never did as a player.

I also did one shots using the Basic rules to showcase it, telling players that the game had even more options in terms of races, classes, backgrounds and more and that if they wanted to play again, we could expand on that.

I also did some playtesting using the Basic rules , modules etc... and making Basic Char is even faster.

Remathilis

Legend
The Basic Players Rules are fairly complete, if stripped down. The DM material is too bare bones. Monster selection is decent, but treasure and traps and stuff like that is not enough to run a game by without supplementing.

Basic Players: 3.5/5
Basic DMs: 1.5/5

Ath-kethin

Elder Thing
Basic 5e wasn't Basic enough for me; the Dungeonesque set from Rogue Comet does a WAY better job at it.

I still keep the Basic rules in mind when writing adventures though. It's all some people have.

For my part, I run DCC games a lot now. It's like the late 70s/early 80s D&D mishmashed with 3e, and it absolutely rocks. I've always felt (and still do) that if you can't think of anything interesting for your fighter to do at a given moment that's on you, not the system, but DCC also helps with their Might Deeds system.

Plaguescarred

D&D Playtester for WoTC since 2012
The Basic Players Rules are fairly complete, if stripped down. The DM material is too bare bones. Monster selection is decent, but treasure and traps and stuff like that is not enough to run a game by without supplementing.

Basic Players: 3.5/5
Basic DMs: 1.5/5
Many times i ended up using published materials that already included treasures and traps during one shots or playtesting.

But for my daughters' mini campaign, i homebrewed stuff up and used things from the DMG as well.

dave2008

Legend
I sort of did for a while a long time ago, because in France it was really hard to get the expert rules. And it was fun, we created multiple characters and got them to lvl 3 (those which survived) and started again, until we could get the expert rules.

Today, honestly, I would not do it again, it's really limited, and I like high fantasy more than the really low levels, in terms of the possibilities of the characters. Level 1-3 in Basic is extremely limited, for me the best levels are usually 5-12 whatever the edition,

Also, most of the revival is focussed around B+X, I think for these reasons as well. Just my preferences, obviously.
FYI, this is tagged 5e, They are talking about the free 5e basic rules (basically the SRD I believe).

Remove ads