D&D 5E Basic D&D Campaign

aco175

Legend
We started 5e with LMoP and the basic rules therein, even though we had the PHB. I think it lasted roughly though the box set and then I was adding more DMG items and such as the PCs gained levels beyond the 5th that ended the box set. Today, only have the players use feats and optional rules. My father is still basic human champion fighter.

I find it is not a bad set of rules and more favors new players and maybe more to kids. I'm assuming most of us on the boards like more options and rules to expand things, but one-shots and quick gatherings makes it great to have. I think they only went to 5th level, but that can be a few months of play or a campaign's worth of fun.

Burnside

Space Jam Confirmed
Supporter
The first 5E campaign I ever ran was Lost Mine of Phandelver using only the Basic 5E rules. It was perfectly fun; the group consisted of a high elf evoker wizard, a human champion fighter, a wood elf thief rogue, and a human life cleric.

By the time we finished the campaign (characters were just shy of level 5), the players running the fighter and the rogue definitely expressed that they wanted more mechanical options and complexity for their characters (especially the fighter); the wizard and cleric were totally happy with their characters.

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
Oh yeah. Basic D&D was the only game I played until the 3rd Edition was released in 2000. That's...woah. That makes it 15 years straight...longer than I've played any other edition. We ran campaigns that started out at 1st level, and lasted well into the low 20th levels, traveling all over The Known World in the process.

I'm not sure I could run a BECM game exclusively nowadays, though. The d20 system is just too elegant to abandon in favor of upside-down armor classes, percentile skill checks, and THAC0. But I would dearly love to see the Mystara campaign get a 5E update. I would finally be able to play my favorite classic monsters and modules easily, with my favorite game rules system.

dave2008

Legend
Oh yeah. Basic D&D was the only game I played until the 3rd Edition was released in 2000. That's...woah. That makes it 15 years straight...longer than I've played any other edition. We ran campaigns that started out at 1st level, and lasted well into the low 20th levels, traveling all over The Known World in the process.

I'm not sure I could run a BECM game exclusively nowadays, though. The d20 system is just too elegant to abandon in favor of upside-down armor classes, percentile skill checks, and THAC0. But I would dearly love to see the Mystara campaign get a 5E update. I would finally be able to play my favorite classic monsters and modules easily, with my favorite game rules system.
In case you missed it, the OP is talking about the free 5e Basic Rules

Shiroiken

Legend
I've used them for introductory games, but never for a full campaign. As the DM I don't limit myself, but for new players just using basic rules make it easier to get into the game. They can broaden their horizon afterwards.

Remove ads