• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Basic D&D - Cross Class Training

wargear

First Post
I am planning to run an old style dungeon bash, possibly even a megadungeon. And while I do love the old Dungeons and Dragons, I also like the option of a little mixing of classes.

To that end I came up with cross-class training. I'm just a little stuck on what the cost of these advantages would be. Looking at 10% of the class in questions xp cost for the current level, and an equivalent amount of gold.

Cleric:
Orison - min Wis 9. intone prayer to heal 1d3 hp. usable 1/day/6 levels.
Shield of Faith - min Wis 9. any shield carried is infused with bearers faith and adds +1 AC bonus.
Holy Smite - min Cha 9. brief prayer infuses +1d3 holy damage into weapon. 1 strike/day/6 levels.
Fighter:
Militia - min Str 9. Basic training in any one weapon. once only. (see Master rules)
Resilience - min Con 9. advanced training grants +1 hp per HD.
Armour Agility - min Str 9. training grants proficiency in 1 armour type and decreases its encumberance by 100cn.
Magic-User:
Cantrip - min Int 9. create a minor effect 1/day/6 levels.
- Candle (5' diameter of light)
- Flame (1d2 fire damage, 60' range)
- Hand (5 lb telekinesis, move 10' per round)
Foci - min Int 9. create a focus that allows one 1st level spell to be cast 1/day. usually in the form of a crystal, and attached to a staff or weapon.
Mana Spring - min Con 9. ritual expands natural mana flow, allowing arcane charged items carried to recharge 1 charge per [spell level] days, and the ability to use wands as if a magic user.
Thief:
Stealthy - min Dex 9. training grants (+)10% in Move Silently and Hide in Shadows.
Alertness - min Wis 9. training grants (+)10% in Hear Noise and +2 vs Surprise.
Trapsmith - min Dex 9. training grants (+)8% to Find and Remove Traps, and allows Set Traps with a Remove Traps roll.
Elf:
Familiar - min Cha 9. gain a small animal helper, that can converse with its master and aid them while nearby. within 10' it grants +1 save vs Spells.
Dwarf:
Skin of the Earth - min Con 9. special treatments grant damage reduction 1.
Halfling:
Knifefighter - min Dex 9. advanced techniques grant +1 damage with Small size weapons.
Not all of these would be available to just anyone, and would provide visible benefits for aiding certain powerful groups, or even harmless hermits, or whatever. Consider the average fighter's reaction when told that in return for aiding the Temple of the Healing Goddess, he was being offered the chance to learn a minor healing spell...or that the Dwarven Elder he saved last month had convinced his people to bless the fighter with Skin of the Earth...or perhaps the Mage who did favours for a Mercenary Captain and in return is trained up to their standards with Militia (longsword), Resilience and Armour Agility (leather)...making him almost equal to the party Thief in melee.

Remove ads