• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Battle Cleric of Dumathoin, advice.

Thanee

First Post
Well, I'd get the basics first before going for more fancy stuff.

That is... Power Attack, Cleave.

Other than that, I find Improved Trip to be a highly useful feat for a melee fighter and you do qualify for Combat Expertise.

Too bad your Cha is so low, so Divine Might is out.

Metamagic is probably useless too, as your caster level will be fairly low, but maybe Quicken Spell could be worthwhile at really high levels.

If you don't get multiclass penalties, you might want to consider to get more Cleric than Ranger levels (2:1 ratio maybe). I wouldn't get another class, if you don't want to push it, altho 2 Fighter levels don't really seem too far out there (resulting in Fighter 2 / Ranger 6 / Cleric 12 laaaaater).

Improved Shield Bash could give you better AC while still being able to use TWF. You could use the shield attack for tripping.

That would definitely be a cool sight to imagine, the dwarf pushing his opponent on the ground with his shield and following up to smite him with the warhammer, once he is on an equal level! :D

So, to sum it up, my advice is...

Power Attack
Cleave
Combat Expertise
Improved Trip
Improved Shield Bash

If you get those 2 Fighter levels, you could also get Quicken Spell and something else (Leadership?).

Bye
Thanee

Last edited:

Lord Ravinous

First Post
Thanee said:
Well, I'd get the basics first before going for more fancy stuff.

That is... Power Attack, Cleave.

Other than that, I find Improved Trip to be a highly useful feat for a melee fighter and you do qualify for Combat Expertise.

Too bad your Cha is so low, so Divine Might is out.

Metamagic is probably useless too, as your caster level will be fairly low, but maybe Quicken Spell could be worthwhile at really high levels.

If you don't get multiclass penalties, you might want to consider to get more Cleric than Ranger levels (2:1 ratio maybe). I wouldn't get another class, if you don't want to push it, altho 2 Fighter levels don't really seem too far out there.

Improved Shield Bash could give you better AC while still being able to use TWF. You could use the shield attack for tripping.

That would definitely be a cool sight to imagine, the dwarf pushing his opponent on the ground with his shield and following up to smite him with the waraxe, once he is on an equal level! :D

So, to sum it up, my advice is...

Power Attack
Cleave
Combat Expertise
Improved Trip
Improved Shield Bash

If you get those 2 Fighter levels, you could also get Quicken Spell and something else (Leadership?).

Bye
Thanee

I really liked this suggestion, I'll see what it looks like on paper, thanks :)

The Souljourner

First Post
Sorry, evidently shield bashing changed in 3.5 so light shields are only 1d4. Fair, I think, given that they give you +1 AC and can be enchanted.

And you're right about elven chain, it's the equivalent of mithral chainmail, not a mithral chain shirt. Whatever... it's still just inferior to a mithral breastplate.

BTW, I love that idea for a dwarven ranger... if only bullrush were useful, I'd say take improved bull rush. Unfortunately it's not, but that build is cool nevertheless.

-The Souljourner

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads